It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Please help! What should I do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
    SammieH
    (female)

SammieH HB User
    Exclamation Please help! What should I do?

I have had iron defincy anemia on and off for 3 years now, the Anemia is believed to be due to heavy periods.

Over the past week I have had and still have about 8 ulcers on the end of my tongue which are excruciating and I am so tired it has now got to the point where I can barely get out of bed and I can't stay awake for more than about six hours- even now I am laying in bed having only just woken up.

I have left over iron tablets and have been taking 600mg each day for the past 3 days in hopes that I will feel better - I have booked a doctors appointment for in two days (because you can never get an appointment straight away with the Nhs). My tongue is agony beyond belief and it would be nice to be able to stay away during the day time.

I really do not know what to do. I am wondering should I call Nhs direct or something? Should I ask about iron injections? Would the injections have faster effects than the tablet? (I have been taking FERROUS sulphate - which make me feel absolutly sick)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
    teri579
    (female)

teri579 HB Userteri579 HB User
    Re: Please help! What should I do?

You poor thing, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! Did you do any research about burning mouth syndrome and how it could be related to Anemia and other related issues? I wonder if the ulcers are related to sjogrens syndrome or something. Had you stopped taking your iron until now? I'm asking because you said you had some left... sounded like maybe you hadn't been taking it and now that you're so tired you're hoping to take it to make you feel better. I'm totally and completely new to the Anemia scene but I can tell you that you and I are on the same type of iron! So I can tell you that I asked the pharmacist about it when I bought it and he told me not to take it without a stool softener! So I bought them together and I take a stool softener with each iron pill. I also never take it on an empty stomach... in the beginning I would wait a half hour to an hour after eating to make sure the food digested first. Now I don't wait that long, maybe just 15 or 20 min.

I'm finding that I feel so much better after a good, hot shower. Does that help you? I feel so refreshed and I don't know if even just the act of shampooing my hair, stimulates the scalp and follicles and maybe helps refresh me? Are you taking your iron with Vitamin C and then avoiding dairy for 3 hrs? I'm sure you know, that helps it absorb best...

I wish I could help you - when was the last time your levels were done?

Please take care. I hope you feel better really soon.

Closed Thread