It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron def anemia...losing blood?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
    mbw
    (female)

mbw HB User
    Question iron def anemia...losing blood?

Hi,

I am finding these boards very helpful! Thank you!

My hemoglobin is 9.4, Ferritin is 4.7, RDW 16.2... Folic acid and B-12 are good (other test are posted in another post)

Here is my question....

Does being iron deficient with anemia mean that I am losing blood somewhere or not? I am very confused about this part. The doctor did do a urine blood test (neg) and a colon stool test (neg) and menstrual cycle is very short and light and has been for at least a year, seems like it was heavier in the past--but it has been awhile. I can't find an exact answer to this and I feel so sick and that makes me get a little worried that something is really wrong.

Thanks again,

Mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
    hmm82
    (female)

hmm82 HB User
    Re: iron def anemia...losing blood?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbw View Post
    Does being iron deficient with anemia mean that I am losing blood somewhere or not?
    yes it either means blood loss - or a serious absorption problem.

you could have been anemic before your periods got lighter though.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
    mbw
    (female)

mbw HB User

That is sort of what I was thinking... it seems like my periods were heavier--never super heavy though.

The doctor says my hemoglobin has gone back up to normal levels, I still feel pretty lousy. I'm not sure if the way I feel is connected to the previously low hemoglobin and ferritin of 4. She only test for the basic CBC. So, don't know if other #'s have improved.

**I told the dr that I was still feeling tired and had been having leg pains, and that I was a little more emotional and anxious/ jumpy and her response was... what was your childhood like? Did anyone touch you or hurt you? She went as far as saying, I think you may have ptsd!

WHAT?!? Oh, and I've been running a low grade temp (99.5-101)for over a month, and it hasn't improved either. She didn't address any of my concerns other than say it wasn't connected to the iron deficient anemia and she thought it was emotional!

I think it is time to get another doctor? Does anyone think that I am over reacting? For her to jump from my symptoms to PTSD.

Thanks, Mindy

Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
    hmm82
    (female)

hmm82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbw View Post
    That is sort of what I was thinking... it seems like my periods were heavier--never super heavy though.

The doctor says my hemoglobin has gone back up to normal levels, I still feel pretty lousy. I'm not sure if the way I feel is connected to the previously low hemoglobin and ferritin of 4. She only test for the basic CBC. So, don't know if other #'s have improved.

**I told the dr that I was still feeling tired and had been having leg pains, and that I was a little more emotional and anxious/ jumpy and her response was... what was your childhood like? Did anyone touch you or hurt you? She went as far as saying, I think you may have ptsd!

WHAT?!? Oh, and I've been running a low grade temp (99.5-101)for over a month, and it hasn't improved either. She didn't address any of my concerns other than say it wasn't connected to the iron deficient anemia and she thought it was emotional!

I think it is time to get another doctor? Does anyone think that I am over reacting? For her to jump from my symptoms to PTSD.

Thanks, Mindy

how much is that "normal" hemoglobin? 12? or significantly higher? (12 is about the low end of "normal" for women...)

the PSTD idea is pretty silly. I would look for another doctor...

Closed Thread