HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   muscle twitching, spasms and tingling= iron deficiency? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/855653-muscle-twitching-spasms-tingling-iron-deficiency.html)

debmul 07-27-2011 08:31 AM

Re: muscle twitching, spasms and tingling= iron deficiency?

[QUOTE=hmm82;4808987]interesting. the problem with diagnosing magnesium deficiency is that supposedly serum magnesium can be still in the normal range while being symptomatic. I'm not sure how but that's what they say. according to recommendations, in this case if deficiency is still suspected, it's worth trying a bit of magnesium supplementing for a few days and see if it helps. anyway when I had mine done, that was in the higher part of normal range, so I should be good to go I guess. not that I have these muscle twitching symptoms but sure good to know.

anyway I will be curious to hear the results if the OP gets it checked.[/QUOTE]

During this time, I also had potassium and calcium deficiencies as well, so it could have been a combination of the three deficiencies that were causing the various symptoms. I just know that it's better now, but I DO still have some tingling of my tongue and eye twitches, even though I'm in the "normal" range. From what I have read, blood serum is not the ideal way to check magnesium, but it's better than nothing! I have gone from going to the lab twice a week to once a month. BIG help to me!

hmm82 07-27-2011 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=debmul;4809192]During this time, I also had potassium and calcium deficiencies as well, so it could have been a combination of the three deficiencies that were causing the various symptoms. I just know that it's better now, but I DO still have some tingling of my tongue and eye twitches, even though I'm in the "normal" range. From what I have read, blood serum is not the ideal way to check magnesium, but it's better than nothing! I have gone from going to the lab twice a week to once a month. BIG help to me![/QUOTE]

any chance vitamin D deficiency could have caused the calcium issues? just curious if that was tested and was OK. glad to hear you feel a lot better.

debmul 07-27-2011 07:28 PM

I'm really not sure if Vitamin D was tested, but it shouldn't have been an issue. My diet covers that pretty well. But the doctor I had at the time was very thorough, so it was probably checked along with everything else. Thanks!

hmm82 07-27-2011 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=debmul;4809722]I'm really not sure if Vitamin D was tested, but it shouldn't have been an issue. My diet covers that pretty well. But the doctor I had at the time was very thorough, so it was probably checked along with everything else. Thanks![/QUOTE]

it is hard to get enough vitamin D from diet.

there are only two main sources 1) sunlight 2) supplements