It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Just diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
    niknak71
    (female)

niknak71 HB User
    Just diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia

Hi everyone, I have just been diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. I also have an underactive thyroid. Am taking 322mg of ferrous fumurate twice a day along with 125mg of thyroxine. Feel pretty rubbish to be honest. Hair is thinning and out of everything, this is what I dread the most. Have been researching different things to increase my iron naturally and am now taking blackstrap molasses which is full of iron. Has anyone else ever tried this and if so, how long did it take for iron stores to go up. My serum ferritin is 4mg/l, serum iron is 6umol/l and hg 113g/l.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
    niknak71
    (female)

niknak71 HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin and Iron, feeling awful.

Hi there, I have just been diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. On top of that have had underactive thyroid for 10 years now, taking 125mg of thyroxine. Do you know if ferrous fumerate interferes with the absorption of thyroxine and do you have any recommendation for increasing my iron levels. I am eating a diet high in iron now, my tablets and have just started taking blackstrap molasses.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
    sue46
    (female)

sue46 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by niknak71 View Post
    Hi there, I have just been diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. On top of that have had underactive thyroid for 10 years now, taking 125mg of thyroxine. Do you know if ferrous fumerate interferes with the absorption of thyroxine and do you have any recommendation for increasing my iron levels. I am eating a diet high in iron now, my tablets and have just started taking blackstrap molasses.
    Hi, I took ferrous fumerate for a 4 week period, when I was blood tested my ferritin level had risen but my thyroid TSH reading was way of beam - at 9.27! - 6 weeks previously it had been a lovely 1.6 so even though I took the 2 meds at least 6 hours apart, my doctor thinks that maybe the ff did effect the thyroxine, so I am on a 'let's wait a month' before we test again..

Despite the low ferritin reading the TSH reading I feel great though

Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
    niknak71
    (female)

niknak71 HB User

Hi, I can't believe how similar we are. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia on 26 Jan and started taking 322mg ferrous fumerate twice a day since. Am on a three month stint to see how it goes. I also have an underactive thyroid. I too am tired, anxious, irritable all the time and snap for no reason at things which are soo trivial. I am eating a diet rich in iron now, lots of liver, red meat, leafy veg and vitamin c for absorption. I am also taking 2 teaspoons of organic blackstrap molasses which has a very high iron content. I have asked my doctor about various supplements and have got a big fat "O" back. They cannot recommend any type of vitamins as trials have not been carried out!, and we go to these people for help. I am taking a multivitamin as well and various other vitamins to hopefully make me feel bitter, its all a bit trial and error. My hair feels like its thinning although I would say over the last week or so this has slowed down. I am due to have my next blood test mid April and am looking forward to seeing how I've got on otherwise its iron IV's I think. My ferritin is 4, serum iron, 6 and hemoglobin 113, so really quite low. Good luck and I hope the above helps

Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
    niknak71
    (female)

niknak71 HB User

OMG, I dont know what my TSH levels are! The doctor told me to take my thyroxine first then leave 2 hours and take the iron tablets. Am also taking blackstrap molasses and iron rich diet. Am more concerned about my hair thinning to be honest more than anything else, seems a bit silly I know but I had a lovely full head of hair, not too bad now, although I have noticed it thinning. What are we to do? The doctors arent much help, just give us tablets and say see you in three months!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
    pila99
    (female)

pila99 HB User

Hi niknak- I feel the same way. What worries me the most is losing my hair. In Novemer 2009, I saw my doctor because I had noticed a lot of shedding. After some blood tests my ferritin level came back <5! The doctor said that I basically had no iron stored in my body. My hemoglobin was an 8, thyroid and hormones were good. I get so angry with myself because back in 2004 and 2006 I was diagnosed with anemia and I never bothered to take the iron supplements that were prescribed. I was in my 20's and didn't think it was a "big deal"....stupid, I know. So here I am, 31 and my hair has been shedding since November of last year. I've been taking Ferrex 28 (150 mg elemental iron with B12, Folic Acid and Vit C) for about 3 months and my last blood test (Feb.25) my ferritin is up to 35. I have more energy and don't feel so tired and cold as I used to, but the hair shedding hasn't slowed one bit. But I do have a lot of little hairs growing all over my head. Some little hairs are still falling, but some are almost 2 inches long I'm really hoping the shedding stops soon, but I've read that it needs to be at 40 for the shedding to slow or stop and at 70-90 for re-growth. I'm hoping once my levels gets a little higher, the shedding of some of those smaller hairs will stop. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
    pila99
    (female)

pila99 HB User

And it's so true that doctors aren't much help. Most of the information I got was from these forums and different websites. I had to print out some of this info and take to my hematologist.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
    niknak71
    (female)

niknak71 HB User

Thanks for your post, really helpful. The ferrous fumerate that I'm taking is making me so tired, I can honestly say I feel worse. I'm worried that the iron tablets are interfering with my thyroxine now.

Good to hear about the hair, it is really important to us and I think we take it too much or granted until something with our bodies goes wrong.

Off to the doctor on monday to see if I can have a blood test to see how things are going and whether the tabs are ok with my thyroxine.

Fingers crossed and thank you,

Closed Thread