It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
    mauritia
    (female)

mauritia HB User
    hair loss

So, I'm about 90% sure I'm iron-deficient anaemic (still waiting on my test results, but I had VERY similar symptoms about a year ago due to iron-deficient anaemia, and a few months ago my doctor told me I could stop taking my iron pills...suspect he was wrong!). I have VERY low energy, pallour, pounding heart, out of breath easily, dizziness, poor mood, really cold hands & feet...and also what didn't happen before when I had anaemia, I seem to be shedding way more hair than usual. It doesn't look thin yet but I keep noticing hairs on my pillow, desk, clothes, in the shower drain...I'm really worried it's going to thin out because I am really vain about my hair.

I guess my question is, has anyone else had problems with hair loss with anaemia? Did it go away when your iron levels got better? Did you end up with a visible difference? I should probably be more concerned about how I could easily sleep 14 hours a night but I guess I am just a vain girl. D:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
    Diamond20
    (female)

Diamond20 HB User
    Re: hair loss

I've got megaloblastic anaemia and have to take folic acid tablets daily and also a B12 Jab every 3mths for life.
    I get very tied and even dizzy plus sleep alot but it's never involved hair loss with me but you can get very cold with it and if your readings come back at either 8.0 or 9.0 that's very low.
    I've got hypothroidism which can make you lose your hair, as i'm losing a fare bit at the moment but i've got Lupus with other issues involved...so like yourself it makes you wonder like mad which is causing it the most.

Terry

Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
    mollygog
    (female)

mollygog HB User

i didnt think i had low iron levels but my hair had been falling out gradually for a coupe of years.. when i stopped taking contraceptive pill in march it got really bad, i had big clumps of long hairs and my ponytail over time is only half the size it was.. anyway i tried everything on the market and then someone suggested taking nutrihair from natures best which is an iron tablet, you are supposed to take them for upto 3 months before the shedding calms down but i have been taking them for only 6 weeks and already i am so happy to say there is a big big differance..i dont eat red meat and also the contraceptive pill is supposed to cause iron problems.. anyway after years of stressing about it and counting hairs i can say finally i think it is coming to an end thanks to nutrihair....

Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
    Diamond20
    (female)

Diamond20 HB User

mollygog, i really hope nutrihair does the cure for your hair...nothing worse than a woman's hair coming out.

My hair was right down my back and i cut it short and i was shocked to see two bald patches ontop and they grew back as soon as i cut it and now it's getting to shoulder length but my hair comes out like mad still and especially with a shower besides the grey hair off the anaemia...thank goodness for the hair dresser on tuesday.lol

Closed Thread