It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Blood transfusion and Hb increase

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
    august82
    (male)

august82 HB User
    Blood transfusion and Hb increase

Hi all,

I'm new here as I have never had anything to ask about in the past. Last Friday I was admitted to hospital with acute blood loss (I had had blood in my stools for a week or so before this happened, but was unaware that it meant blood).

My Hb was then 4.5 and I was feeling extremely rough. However, they sorted me out with a blood transfusion quickly and soon I was feeling better. The following day they discharged me with a prescription of omeprazole and a referral to gastroendoscopy for 2 weeks later as they suspected a stomach ulcer.

I had at the time of discharge a Hb of 9.2 and that was after 4 units of blood = 1.175 hb per unit.

I was feeling ok for a few days at home. A bit tired and sluggish, but thought I was just recovering and creating my own hb.

On Wednesday morning I woke up feeling rubbish again and was rushed to A&E with a hb count of 5. They gave me another 4 units of blood which took me up to 8 = 0.75 hb per unit. They also did a gastroendoscopy and found what was some lesion which was clipped together to stop the bleeding. The doctor said that the clipping has 85% success rate and sometimes they have to redo it or fix it surgically.

The following night I had another transfusion to kick start me back to life and so they gave me 2 more units of blood. I didn't feel much different in the morning when I woke up. They then waited 24 hours and did another blood count and my hb was now 8.2 = 0.1 hb per unit.

They then said I could go home continuing taking my omeprazole in addition to some iron tablets.

I found it weird how my hb hardly went up after the last 2 units and I suspect that the 24 hour delay means that I might still be bleeding. I find it even more confusing that they happily discharged me. I insisted on staying till tomorrow morning for another test just to see that it hasn't dropped.

Now I'm quite anxious about the test tomorrow morning and that it means another gastroendoscopy. Guess I'm posting this to find out if anyone knows if I have a reason not to worry. I'm easily comforted. Could it perhaps have to do with the red blood cells in last 2 bags being rejected by my immune system? I went through the transfusion without any fever or other pains.

Thankful if someone has any idea why the hb per unit has dropped like that.

I will update with how the blood test goes tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
    august82
    (male)

august82 HB User
    Re: Blood transfusion and Hb increase

Update on this as I posted it yesterday and it wasn't moderated and published until today.

I had another blood test taken this morning and my Hb had increased to 9.1 and the doctor explained that it can sometimes take some time before a transfusion shows on a blood test.

Anyway - I've been discharged and feeling a lot better. Obviously still a bit tired and bleh, but at least my Hb is going up. Will go for a few blood tests this week to make sure it doesn't drop again.

Cheers

Old 11-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
    GraceNZ
    (female)

GraceNZ HB User

Feel sorry for you mate. I don't know why they discharged you so quickly :-| Hope you get better soon. Deer blood supplements are rich in iron and effective in maintaining a proper iron level. Synthetic iron tablets almost always give intestinal cramps, stomach pain, etc. Anyway good luck and take care :-)

Old 11-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
    august82
    (male)

august82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GraceNZ View Post
    Feel sorry for you mate. I don't know why they discharged you so quickly :-| Hope you get better soon. Deer blood supplements are rich in iron and effective in maintaining a proper iron level. Synthetic iron tablets almost always give intestinal cramps, stomach pain, etc. Anyway good luck and take care :-)

I know - I much rather be getting my iron naturally. I'll just finish the dose the doctor gave me and then I will look in to changing my diet.

It's been 3 days now since last transfusion and I'm still feeling ok. Last time it took 4 days for me to get floored again, so if I'm still ok his time tomorrow I will be a bit more relaxed. Likelihood is that the procedure they did was successful.

Closed Thread