It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How do they determine supplements, injections or infusions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
    mcscrap
    (female)

mcscrap HB User
    How do they determine supplements, injections or infusions?

I am wondering what the parameters are for a dr deciding supplements, injections or infusions. Here are my numbers:

white blood count- normal
    red blood count- normal
    Hemoglobin- low at 8.9
    Hematocrit- low at 28%
    MCV- low at 66
    MCH- low at 21
    MCHC- low at 31 (barely low)
    RDW- HIGH at 17%...meaning microcytosis, not leukemia or B12 deficiency
    Platelet count- normal

Thyroid- normal

Vitamin D- also very low at 12.

Ferritin 3 LOW
    Iron Saturation 3% LOW

** some other result was a 13..was getting the info from a nurse and not sure...said it should be atleast 40.

So...I have been on oral supplements for three weeks. Only 1 dose a day. I feel like crap of course. I want to feel better. Just wondering what dose I should really be looking at and when do they consider the injections or infusions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
    palmtreegirl
    (female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User
    Re: How do they determine..supplements, injections or infusions?

My numbers are all pretty close to yours and I feel like I could have written your post. When my doctor first called me with the results, he said "you will need IV iron." A week later, he wrote a prescription for oral ferrous gluconate. When I asked about the IV iron, he said there could be side effects. I started the ferrous gluconate, and then had to stop it after a week to prepare for a capsule endoscopy. That was done yesterday, so I am back on the iron again. I expect to feel exhausted for quite a while. It is all very frustrating!!! I am also looking at possible ear surgery, but I fear they won't want to do it with my iron levels so low. Everything moves at a snails pace in the medical world

Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
    mcscrap
    (female)

mcscrap HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
    My numbers are all pretty close to yours and I feel like I could have written your post. When my doctor first called me with the results, he said "you will need IV iron." A week later, he wrote a prescription for oral ferrous gluconate. When I asked about the IV iron, he said there could be side effects. I started the ferrous gluconate, and then had to stop it after a week to prepare for a capsule endoscopy. That was done yesterday, so I am back on the iron again. I expect to feel exhausted for quite a while. It is all very frustrating!!! I am also looking at possible ear surgery, but I fear they won't want to do it with my iron levels so low. Everything moves at a snails pace in the medical world
    I am wondering if my dr is waiting for me to have the colonoscopy before offering a more aggressive treatment of the anemia. I only talked to a nurse yesterday. I have kinda been putting off the colonoscopy due to finances...our health savings account is running low due to two of us having tons of dental works done lately. I just had an encoscopy done last year and know how expensive that was!

I am on Integra, not sure what the dosage is...need to look that up.

I know how you feel. I am so tired of being tired. I have probably been ignoring these symptoms for a long time. Just writing them off to having three kids, moving to a house with lots of stairs, depression and being overweight. Now that I know the cause, I am more aware of the symptoms and them are harder to ignore. I am ready to start feeling better!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
    palmtreegirl
    (female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Yes, I think they probably are waiting for your colonoscopy results. My primary care doc said he wants to find the source of bleeding. The EGD and colonoscopy were negative. The results from the capsule endoscopy will be back in two weeks. If that doesn't show a source, then it is probably idiopathic (unknown). He said he will repeat the bloodwork after I have been on the ferrous gluconate for a while. I think after those results are back, if the numbers don't improve, at that point IV iron will be the next step, and I will consider a hematologist at that point as well. They seem to start conservative so they have somewhere to go later on. I am going to look up Integra. Not familiar with it. Several years ago I had an integrative medicine doctor who put me on Perque Anemia Guard. I bought it on ebay for $15 a bottle. It did work, and I will probably order it again. At that time heavy periods were the problem and then I had a hysterectomy. My current doctor didn't respond when I told him about this product, but it is a supplement that you don't need a prescription to buy, so it can't hurt anything to try it again.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
    palmtreegirl
    (female)

Just read up on Integra. Sounds like a great product. Polysaccride irons are good. It said they don't recommend it for microlytic anemias, which I have. Hope it works well for you.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
    flyingaimlessly
    (female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

I think it really just depends on how you respond to oral iron at first, and how your doctor feels about injections/infusions. My levels hadn't even gotten low enough for me to be considered anemic, just iron deficient, and my ferritin never dropped below 13 and my hematologist was insisting that I needed feraheme because I wasn't responding to the carbonyl iron the way she wanted me to after 2 weeks.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
    mcscrap
    (female)

mcscrap HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
    Just read up on Integra. Sounds like a great product. Polysaccride irons are good. It said they don't recommend it for microlytic anemias, which I have. Hope it works well for you.
    I have done some reading, but didn't see the part about microlytic anemias...I have microcytosis?!?! Going to read some more.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
    WindeeGale
    (female)

WindeeGale HB User

Hi, very new here. Is Microlytic anemia's the same as Pernicious Anemia or a form of it? Thanks so much for your help. :-)

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
    mcscrap
    (female)

mcscrap HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WindeeGale View Post
    Hi, very new here. Is Microlytic anemia's the same as Pernicious Anemia or a form of it? Thanks so much for your help. :-)
    From what I understand...NO. Microlytic forms of anemia means that a certain amount of the red blood cells are too small. Pernicious anemia is usually associated with larger than normal red blood cells so it is a macrolytic. Do you know your MCV value?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
    Re: How do they determine supplements, injections or infusions?

@mcscrap-what about the 'transferrin"? my numbers are close to yours. My transferrin is high. What does that mean.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
    mcscrap
    (female)

mcscrap HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fitness Seeker View Post
    @mcscrap-what about the 'transferrin"? my numbers are close to yours. My transferrin is high. What does that mean.
    From what I have read....if trasferrin is high, and other numbers are low (hemoglobin, MCV, % Saturation, ferritin) then it indicates iron defeciency anemia. There are different causes for this type of anemia, but it is treatable.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User

Is it common for the MDs to send for an endo/colonoscopy when your iron/ferritin is low? I've had 2 Mds the past 5 yrs and neither have ever asked to have either done. They just asked that I go on supplements. I was on it. Once my numbers were marginally within range, they didnt' think it was a problem, so i stopped. But now I"m back being below range and medically "anemic". Should I ask for an endo/colonoscopy? Also, my stomach isn't responding very well to pills. Has anyone had any success with liquid iron supps and is the absorption rate better?

Closed Thread