It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Pernicious Anemia or Not

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
    AshleyRo
    (female)

AshleyRo HB User
    Pernicious Anemia or Not

Hi. I'm new to this message board. I just discovered this condition, pernicious anemia, and my symptoms seem to match what I'm reading. I understand nobody can diagnose, but wanted to see if your experiences are consistent with mine. About a month ago, my GP did blood work and discovered that I am anemic, and I also had a positive ANA test. They referred me to a rheumatologist, but of course, he's booking two months out so I haven't seen him yet.

Here's my story. I'm 45. I've been having odd stomach problems for years that come and go -- general burning and hungry feeling in the upper abdomen. I've had several stomach tests done (gall bladder, colonoscopy, etc.) -- All normal. So I gave up on the incompetent doctors, and I just take Nexium to control these issues, but lately the Nexium is not helping much. I just deal with it and go about my business.

But now, I'm feeling very fatigued, have some numbness in my left hand, had a dizzy spell a few weeks ago (almost fainted), vomited several times over the weekend (could be a stomach bug, though), dark circles under my eyes, and still having nausea and bloating. I should also mention that my mother said I was commonly anemic as a small child. In addition, I've had an endometrial ablation so I no longer have periods; therefore, heavy bleeding is not the issue.

Does this sound familiar to those with this condition? Should I try to see a doctor immediately?

I started taking b12 supplements just in case, but not sure if 1000 mg will even help.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Pernicious Anemia or Not

I think if I were you I would probably see a Dr. and have them run the tests to see if you are low.
    As far as the B12 goes it's a start while you wait to see the Dr. I have been taking 500 mcg but I think I'm going to bump up to 1000 mcg. My Dr. was not very clear on how much to take. Just said you B12 is low take a supplement.
    My eyes feel so dry and yucky all the time.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
    AshleyRo
    (female)

AshleyRo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
    I think if I were you I would probably see a Dr. and have them run the tests to see if you are low.
    As far as the B12 goes it's a start while you wait to see the Dr. I have been taking 500 mcg but I think I'm going to bump up to 1000 mcg. My Dr. was not very clear on how much to take. Just said you B12 is low take a supplement.
    My eyes feel so dry and yucky all the time.
    Are dry eyes a common symptom? I'm having the same issue. My eye doctor prescribed Restatis - I didn't think about this possible connection.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I'm no Dr. but from what I have read the eye issues can be a part of it. My eyes sting at times. As far as your other symptoms go, I have the same things you describe, minus the vomiting. I do get tingly or numbness in my fingertips, legs and arms as well.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
    tommorrow
    (female)

tommorrow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AshleyRo View Post
    Hi. I'm new to this message board. I just discovered this condition, pernicious anemia, and my symptoms seem to match what I'm reading. I understand nobody can diagnose, but wanted to see if your experiences are consistent with mine. About a month ago, my GP did blood work and discovered that I am anemic, and I also had a positive ANA test. They referred me to a rheumatologist, but of course, he's booking two months out so I haven't seen him yet.

Here's my story. I'm 45. I've been having odd stomach problems for years that come and go -- general burning and hungry feeling in the upper abdomen. I've had several stomach tests done (gall bladder, colonoscopy, etc.) -- All normal. So I gave up on the incompetent doctors, and I just take Nexium to control these issues, but lately the Nexium is not helping much. I just deal with it and go about my business.

But now, I'm feeling very fatigued, have some numbness in my left hand, had a dizzy spell a few weeks ago (almost fainted), vomited several times over the weekend (could be a stomach bug, though), dark circles under my eyes, and still having nausea and bloating. I should also mention that my mother said I was commonly anemic as a small child. In addition, I've had an endometrial ablation so I no longer have periods; therefore, heavy bleeding is not the issue.

Does this sound familiar to those with this condition? Should I try to see a doctor immediately?

I started taking b12 supplements just in case, but not sure if 1000 mg will even help.

Thanks for any advice.
    There are some types of anemia that iron won't help like autoimmune hemolytic anemia. If it's something like that, no amount of iron is going to make you feel any better. Plus, I'm no doctor but your symptoms look an awful lot like lupus.

Closed Thread

Tags
    pernicious anemia