It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Do I have Iron Deficiency Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
    Mholden890
    (male)

Mholden890 HB User
    Do I have Iron Deficiency Anemia?

I have these CBC results-

Hematocrit- 44.5 (34.2-43.5)
    Hemoglobin- 15.2 (11.7-15.0)
    RBC- 5.32 (3.96-5.28)

My MCV is 84 (80-92)
    My RDW is 14.8 (12.3-14.5)

As I understand, an elevated RDW and a normal MCV indicates the beginning of Iron Deficiency Anemia. Does it have to be from a hemorrhage or could it be just mild iron deficiency? And could a high RDW be caused by anything else other than a folate/B12 Deficiency or certain genetic disorders. Could it be caused by dehydration?
    Does this indicate anemia?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
    Missbecca25
    (female)

Missbecca25 HB User
    Re: Do I have Iron Deficiency Anemia?

Anemia is diagnosed by your Hemanocrit and yours is normal.. however to determine if you have Iron defiency anemia you need to have your Iron levels drawn if your iron levels are low you can have iron defiency anemia. Treated by taking Iron supplements. My Iron was 3 normal i believe is above 15. Have you doctor draw your Iron Ferrite levels if you are concerned.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
    msnova74
    (female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

I agree with the other poster. You probably need more definitive testing.

A high RDW can also indicate pernicious anemia, however yours is just slightly off. However if you are feeling fatigued talk to your doc about trying sub-lingual b-12.

T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T

Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
    Missbecca25
    (female)

Missbecca25 HB User

you can have low iron levels and not be technically anemic according to your hemanoctir results and still be symptomatic. You definately need to have your Iron levels tested.... My new internal medicine doctor said i was borderline anemic accordingto my hemanocrit, also have elevate MCV and increased RDW with low end normal B-12. So I am symptomatic of anemia althought labs ddont entirel support the diagnosis. Not everyone's bodys react the way the labs say they should you have to find a doctor that looks past numbers and treats how you feel... I suggest you find a good internal medicine physician and get a good work up... and /or a good natopath. I have been getting treated by Natopath for 7 months andnever felt better. the Internal medicine doctore id sort of freak me out about the seriousness of low iron.. so get a good work up.

Closed Thread