It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia, or something worse?? Need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
    flutterby1982
    (female)

flutterby1982 HB User
    Anemia, or something worse?? Need advice

Ok, I just got back blood work from the doc. I am quite worried about the results. I see a public health doc for low income families) so I am kind of feeling like a number more than a NAME. I am doing my own research on my symptoms (as I feel I have to diagnose myself with this doc) and need advice as to what might be going on with me. I cannot get into see the doctor to discuss my results until next month.

My symptoms:

Fatigue
    Weight loss (lost 180 lbs in 2 years) Although I only eat 1X a day but I get all my calories....????
    Rapid heart rate (probably mvp) due to panic disorder
    All lymph nodes swollen for about 6 months
    Bowel issues (was told I had IBS over 15 years ago).
    Depression
    Overall ILL (you know when you just dont feel right)

My fingernails are WHITE, and my skin (that does not see the sun) is VERY pale. I bruise easily too.

My Red blood cells are LOW
    My white cells are normal (dont know why doc has me on antibiotic?)
    Alkaline Phosphatase is 33 (about 30 points under range)

She has already checked for the following:
    Mono test: Negative
    STD's: Negative
    Lupus: Negative

I am worried about it being hodgkins or chron's disease..

Where should I go from here? Obviously I will go to doc for appt. But how do you tell if you are lacking B-12, iron, or folic acid?? Does anemia have an underlying cause all the time? Or is it possible to JUST be anemic?

Sorry for all the anemia NEWBIE questions... I am just clueless about this. How do I bring my RBC up so I am not so cold, and my nails will get color again? Any advice would be much appreciated :0)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
    msnova74
    (female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User
    Re: Anemia, or something worse?? Need advice

You doctor would need to do a full screen including RDW, B12 levels, Ferritin Levels etc. To determine what type of anemia you have. different types have different treatments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T

The Following User Says Thank You to msnova74 For This Useful Post:
    flutterby1982 (06-27-2012)
    Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Anemia, or something worse?? Need advice

If you have iron deficincy anemia your red cells will be small, reflected by a low mean corpuscular volume (MCV), also called microcytic anemia. B12 and folate deficiency will cause large red cells and a high MCV. Iron in blood, stored iron (ferritin), binding capacity, can be measured to help evaluate/confirm this. B12 and folate levels can be measured in blood as well. These anemias are treated by supplementing the deficiencies, but these tests don't tell you why the defiency is there to begin with. There is anemia of chronic disease which has a normal MCV or cell size. These indicators are reported on the CBC report. It is important, regardless of type of anemia to explore the reason for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    flutterby1982 (06-27-2012)
    Closed Thread