It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• what is causing my anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
    pamkin
    (female)

pamkin HB User
    what is causing my anemia?

Several years ago while breast feeding I stopped taking my iron pills, and I ate ice constantly. Two years later I go for bloodwork and after a few weeks I go back for the results of hypothyroidism, and also to my surprise "anemia" that was so bad that I was sent strait to the hospital for an immediate 2 unit blood transfusion. I started taking meds and lots of iron, and once I got my iron levels back up I stopped taking them...Fast forward 2 years and once again I am anemic. I have never found out what causes mine because I eat a decent amount of iron rich food, don't bleed heavy, and have nothing else wrong. So any ideas on why my body has started doing this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: what is causing my anemia?

Have you been checked for Celiac's?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
    pamkin
    (female)

pamkin HB User

no, no-one has acted like it was even a big deal of what might be causing it...just treat it. I wonder if my body just decided to slow down or stop production of these red blood cells. I will speak to my doctor about this in a few months, but after reading up on this "celtics" I dont think this is the cause. Thank you for the response

Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

There is always an underlying cause for anemia, anemia is just a symptom of a larger issue. I hope you get things figured out!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
    jazzymiles
    (female)

jazzymiles HB User

I've been experienced anemia problem during i worked ,I do sleep late oftentimes and taking a bath every afternoon or night. Is that really cause of doing such things?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree that testing for celiac disease is important, as it can be "silent", causing no other symptoms than anemia and vitamin deficiences because of poor absorption in the small bowel. Also hidden blood loss like from stomach ulcers or GI tract elsewhere should be checked-stool for occult blood.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Anemias are diagnosed in 20-60% patients with hypothyroidism. Real values of the degree of anemia are estimated by radioisotopic analysis due to the lower volume of plasma in hypothyroidism causing false high levels of hemoglobin in blood. Anemia is often the first sign of hypothyroidism. Diagnosis of hypothyroidism should be considered in every case of anemia with uncertain etiology because sometimes signs of overt hypothyroidism needn't necessarily be evident.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
    nola
    (female)

nola HB Usernola HB Usernola HB User

Hi pamkin, I wish I knew the answer to that question as well. Were you not feeling any symptoms when your iron was low enough that you needed transfusions? Like me, you may have an issue with iron absorption. I would keep taking it daily if I were you and never stop because it's probably something you'll have to deal with for the rest of your life given your history with it. Normally, if you're anemic, you always will be unless there was an isolated factor that only caused anemia temporarily.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pamkin View Post
    Several years ago while breast feeding I stopped taking my iron pills, and I ate ice constantly. Two years later I go for bloodwork and after a few weeks I go back for the results of hypothyroidism, and also to my surprise "anemia" that was so bad that I was sent strait to the hospital for an immediate 2 unit blood transfusion. I started taking meds and lots of iron, and once I got my iron levels back up I stopped taking them...Fast forward 2 years and once again I am anemic. I have never found out what causes mine because I eat a decent amount of iron rich food, don't bleed heavy, and have nothing else wrong. So any ideas on why my body has started doing this?

Closed Thread