It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Mild anemia.. which supplement to take?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
    kt92
    (female)

kt92 HB User
    Exclamation Mild anemia.. which supplement to take?

I just had a baby 4 months ago and now I am anemic. The only real problem that it is causing me is to feel a little more tired than normal but not extreme. My levels aren't hugely low.. The last time I got tested was a little over a month ago and at that time my Ferritin was 7 (normal range is 15-180), my hemoglobin was 108 (normal range is 120-150), my hematocrit was 0.35 (normal range is 0.35-0.43) and everything else is normal. My ob gyn told me to just take a prenatal with 27mg and eat high iron foods. My naturopath told me to take 75mg of iron twice daily. I tried the 75mg and it gave me a huge headache (which is what iron supplements normally do to me so that's why I don't normally take them). The prenatals don't cause me any discomforts or pain so I would prefer to just take them.
    My question is would 27mg plus some iron rich food be enough to correct my mild anemia or is it pointless and I should force myself to take the high dose?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
    nola
    (female)

nola HB Usernola HB Usernola HB User
    Re: Mild anemia.. which supplement to take?

I get headaches too from too much iron. I normally take 65 mg a day with a meal containing vitamin C and iron so that I don't have to take the higher dose pills that are prescribed to me. The vitamin C helps you absorb it better. For example, today I ate a sweet potato (contains vitamin C and iron), then took my iron pill, then ate some brussels sprouts afterward (contains vitamin C). It helps to plan every meal and snack to include iron. When it's my time of the month though, I take a double dose of iron, I have to or I just won't be able to function. I drink lots of water to help combat the headaches and also take naproxen or ibuprofen. (I have neurological issues as well though and being low on iron makes it worse.)

I think you'd do well to take 65 mg a day, then have yourself tested again to see if it helped raise your numbers.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I agree with everything Nola told you. Sometimes people have to try several different kinds of iron before they find one that works right for them. If your deficiency was caused by the pregnancy and you are not a heavy bleeder or something else isn't causing this, then I would think it's something you should be able to correct with that dose as well as the iron rich foods. It just might take you longer because your ferritin is pretty low.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
    flyingaimlessly
    (female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

I tried 100 mg of elemental iron with 250 mg of vitamin C and it did nothing for me, literally, levels only got lower and lower. Now I'm on 324mg of ferrous gluconate (I think it's about 33mg elemental iron) twice a day, with 500mg of Vitamin C and it seems to be working a lot better. You can get it behind the counter at any drugstore.

Closed Thread