It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 Level Of 317. Advice Needed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
    Lauren0
    (female)

Lauren0 HB User
    B12 Level Of 317. Advice Needed

Hi all,
    Around mid July, I noticed a numb patch on my left calf. I thought nothing of it. I was born at 27 weeks and had necrotizing endocolitis and an illiostomy. Then after about a week I started experiencing a buzzing in my right foot, and tingling crawling sensation all up my legs, which continued in my legs and also went to my arms, and hands. I was also having headaches. I have had dizziness and vertigo issues my whole life as well. Now the tingling is in my face and scalp. I am also super weak and get tired climbing the stairs and am shaking even when lying still. I also am having random muscle twitches. Ever since this started I have had no appetite and lost 10 pounds. I was diagnosed with depression at 10, and am now 23 and have been on anti-depressants of various kinds since then. Along with all the tiredness and weakness and numb and tingling sensations I have also developed white spots on the outside of my arms and on my legs and have a tingling on the tip of my tounge and a sore tounge, ringing in my ears, TMJ and shooting pain in the palms of my hands, and trouble walking and feeling like I am leaning to one side. I started reading up on B12 becuase I originally thought it was MS. Since I had my illium removed as a baby due to being a premie, I have read that my body cannot absorb B12. I also haven't eaten red meat in about 5 years since I am mostly vegetarian. When I discovered there was such as thing as B12 deficincy I had my levels tested and they were 317, and my serum MMA was 154. I just moved from NYC to Raleigh North Carolina, and the doctor I was seeing here said the levels were normal. I finally convinced her to give me a shot of B12, which she said she can only give me once a month, since the insurance company doesn't have a formal diagnosis. The only shot the office has is cyanocobalamine. I have also been to a neurologist( who was a terrible neurologist and I will have to find a new one) who wants to give me an MRI for MS. I was just wondering what I can do to convince these doctors that 317 is not a good level, especially with my medical history. Does anyone have any idea with my symptoms and level how many shots I should really be getting to alleviate my symptoms? Also is there a specific type of doctor that would know more about B12 deficiency than a regular GP? If my symptoms have only been going on for 2 months, is the neurological damage reversible, and at what point does it become not reversible? The doctor I am going to has never heard of methylcoalamine shots. I have however ordered the methycobalamine sublinguals.
    This board has been so helpful in just reading posts, I figured it was time to post.
    Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: B12 Level Of 317. Advice Needed

Your B12 is low. You know in some countries a B12 of 600 is considered low! My b12 was a 340 and my Dr. was pretty much all over it. I know of someone who had the b12 shots and felt better instantly. I think it really just depends on the person. I don't think your low enough to have any permanent damage but that is no reason to continue to let it get low and lets look at the plus here. You can't get to much b12 so if you can't convince your Dr. that your low enough to get the shots then you can treat it yourself. Your body will just recycle what it doesn't need through the urine. Some Dr's are different and if yours doesn't think you are your options are find another Dr., go to a hematologist and see if they will listen, or self treat.

It seems you are already in full effect with the self treating. You have ordered some great b12. I take the sublingual b12 cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg a day. I was able to get my b12 from 340ish to over 800 in a month!

Closed Thread