It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• PLease help! Bad anemia!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    PLease help! Bad anemia!

I all! I was feeling really ill! I finally went to a hematologist that said I was anemic. Have been in the past as well. My ferritin was a 4! After 2 months it is now a 13 after taking iron daily. My hemoglobin is in the low normal side. How long does it take to feel better! Still losing hair and feel tired! I have 2 young kids to keep up with! Any help from anyone will help! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: PLease help! Bad anemia!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
    I all! I was feeling really ill! I finally went to a hematologist that said I was anemic. Have been in the past as well. My ferritin was a 4! After 2 months it is now a 13 after taking iron daily. My hemoglobin is in the low normal side. How long does it take to feel better! Still losing hair and feel tired! I have 2 young kids to keep up with! Any help from anyone will help! Thanks.
    Why are you anemic in the first place and did you get that issue resolved? Anemia is just a symptom. I still haven't gotten my anemia solved taking iron daily for 4 months and my ferritin has went from a 2 to a 15. I'm afraid correcting anemia is something that can take an upwards of up to a year, not something that goes away fast, unfortunate for us. I suspect that once you get your ferritin up past 50 you might feel better but everyone is different.

I read somewhere that once the hemoglobin is up in normal levels your body does better at taking in the iron and absorbing it but I'm not sure if this is true or not, still waiting to find that out. If no one answers here I will be finding out from my OB. Are you taking a B-complex of some sort, this is also supposed to help tremendously.

The following user gives a hug of support to Heatherx5:
    worrywort (09-13-2012)
    Old 09-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi! thanks! We are pretty sure it is do to heavy periods. I have bad ones and I dont eat meat. I am terrible about eating right! So super busy with kids and all I forget about myself! I had a colonscopy and also a laporoscopy to rule out gastro disorders and woman issues. I do have endometriosis though. Fun! Only 34 and feel 54! Let me know how everything goes with you and I will do the same. are you seeing a hematologist?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
    Hi! thanks! We are pretty sure it is do to heavy periods. I have bad ones and I dont eat meat. I am terrible about eating right! So super busy with kids and all I forget about myself! I had a colonscopy and also a laporoscopy to rule out gastro disorders and woman issues. I do have endometriosis though. Fun! Only 34 and feel 54! Let me know how everything goes with you and I will do the same. are you seeing a hematologist?
    I think we are long lost twins? My periods are heavy and long. I had the internal u/s done and nothing was there. My primary also says that endo can't be seen with the internal u/s and I'm hoping my OB says something different, or at least plans on looking for this. Someone else I know has endo and told me to get checked for it, only thing left in there that it could be! No colon. for me, my Dr. hasn't even recommended this yet. I have another OB appt on the 25th to talk about getting an ablation done, I really hope she rules out endo. before she does this, but if she doesn't will that be bad?

I am with you all the way up to the "not taking care of myself" part. I think I eat once a day. I am not seeing a hematologist, when this all started I didn't have insurance so my Dr. was going the cheapest route, I probably should have and gotten infusions I was pretty bad off. I think my globin was an 8, Ferritin was a 2 and iron was 18. It's just so slowwww, and with these heavy periods our bodies are never going to recover.

I will definitely keep you up to date with me and you do the same!

Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
    I think we are long lost twins? My periods are heavy and long. I had the internal u/s done and nothing was there. My primary also says that endo can't be seen with the internal u/s and I'm hoping my OB says something different, or at least plans on looking for this. Someone else I know has endo and told me to get checked for it, only thing left in there that it could be! No colon. for me, my Dr. hasn't even recommended this yet. I have another OB appt on the 25th to talk about getting an ablation done, I really hope she rules out endo. before she does this, but if she doesn't will that be bad?

I am with you all the way up to the "not taking care of myself" part. I think I eat once a day. I am not seeing a hematologist, when this all started I didn't have insurance so my Dr. was going the cheapest route, I probably should have and gotten infusions I was pretty bad off. I think my globin was an 8, Ferritin was a 2 and iron was 18. It's just so slowwww, and with these heavy periods our bodies are never going to recover.

I will definitely keep you up to date with me and you do the same!
    We must be twins!!! I also thought about an ablation but didn't go ahead with it. I am thinking of going with merina. I don't do well on the pills and I am def done with kids. I think we should take better care of ourselves. Let's kkep eachother posted! I don't feel so alone now! My doc wanted me to do iv iron also, I didn't want to though. pills are helping but still feel crappy.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

I am 34 too, btw. :P

I think half my problem is the slump I have fallen into. I know we need to start taking better care! If your anything like me your last on the list no matter what. My ferritin is such a pain. I went from a 2 to like a 36 now I'm back at a 15. It's ridiculous. My hemoglobin and hematocrit are great, but my iron and ferritin and no bueno! What gives, I'm almost positive it's the heavy bleeding. I had a 2 week period this last one and with all the bleeding and clotting I will never catch up. I am to scared of blood clots to get birth control or I would be all over it.

I am so thankful my hair is thick, but I am noticing some balding on the top, it's just blah, I lose hair like crazy too. By the chunks. Some days I just feel like I'm dying. I hate it. My OB appointment can't come soon enough. They are booked out for months here too.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

we are so much alike!!!!!!! I have always struggled with anemia, I dont eat meat so I am sure that contributes along with the heavy bleeding! I am also terrified of blood clots! Mirena is not supposed to have those risks. I dont want more kids either. I was told by my ob that when you are young and get an ablation you might have to have a repeat one. That is why I decided against it and also the risks that come with it. I overthink everything!!! My hair was very thick! I am so depressed over losing so much! I also feel like I am dying sometimes! Ugh! what a battle! This is teaching me some hard lessons!!!! take care girl! talk soon! BTW! I AM ALSO IN A SLUMP!

Closed Thread