It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• B12 Deficiency?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User
    Re: B12 Deficiency?

I will do then thanks....I just hope he isnt resistant to it like he was last time...:/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Ya my Dr. is telling me I'm OCD and bi-polar with anxiety now. I laugh, well I wasn't before. I guarantee without a doubt anemia and even low b12 cause some major major psychological issues. I won't even listen to anyone that tries to tell me otherwise.

I will give you a rundown on me, fast one. I was blacking out. Went to the Dr. he said your just depressed. Did labs and threw anti-depressants at me. Called me back the very next day said your anemic stop taking those pills come get iron. I did. I came home and informed myself, because my Dr. wasn't hugely informative. He did say since my periods were heavy ( I have golf ball sized clots) that I probably had fibroids or something and I needed to see an OB. I come home Dr. Google for days, find out about b12, go back and demand a test for b12 and D. They both come back low (I'm all for self advocating, you have to do it for yourself no one else will, sometimes Dr.'s are wrong). Go to the OB, guess what no fibroids, I'm clean as a whistle. Get my thyroid checked it's fine. Dizzy off balance nose issues from hell. Go to the ENT, find out I have a deviated septum, and tons of other issues but no allergies, surgery is next Friday to correct them. Get referred to a neurologist for my dizzy off balance and vision issues (keep seeing dots and have flickering) that appointment is next week also next week and appointment with the vision Dr. to make sure nothing is detaching.

I have been anemic for 4 months taking boat loads of iron and my numbers are just fighting to go up. I have an OB appointment on the 25th for a pre-meeting on getting a uterine ablation to stop the bleeding. On top of that I have 2 back surgeries coming up. The first is the 18, 3 days before the nose surgery. I'm sure this all going to help my anemia . Plus a heavy period on the way, my last was 2 weeks. Like I said, everything just hit me at once. It's like you get one problem and bring on the problems.

I think I also developed some hypocondria..(sp?) I feel like I'm slowly dying. I'm so tired and ill feeling all the time. I just want to be me again .

Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Wow that is quite the barrage of issues...I've never even heard of golf sized clots before :O...I'm very sorry about all of that, I wish you a speedy recovery on your nose and back surgeries...Good Luck and stay strong!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
    Michael949
    (male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivebeenbetter View Post
    hi Michael949,

You must read more information on B12 deficiency, I'm hardly an expert but there are many cases of people being diagnosed with B12 deficiency due to pernicious anemia without actually being anemic...being that B12 deficiency is something that takes awhile sometimes to present with actual anemia it is commonly misdiagnosed...I can tell you I don't have anemia but I feel the effects described by many, many people who are b12 deficient ... Thank you for the reply though

Also no I'm not a vegetarian, I'm very much a meat eater
    Yeah, that's why I clearly said that you may be Vitamin B12 deficient without having low hemoglobin. In the beginning of your story, you simply said "anemia", like general anemia. In that case, I stand by what your doctor said. Don't get me wrong, Pernicious B12 Anemia can cause just as worse symptoms and have devastating effects..

You haven't been officially diagnosed nor could you be without first seeing the results of an actual B12 blood test

One more thing, if you know about B12 Deficiency, you know that it rarely has anything to do with genetics. I know you're mom and your sister have it but I wouldn't assume you do as well, just because you have a few symptoms, especially if you've never had a B12 test to prove it

Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael949 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I clearly said that you may be Vitamin B12 deficient without having low hemoglobin. In the beginning of your story, you simply said "anemia", like general anemia. In that case, I stand by what your doctor said. Don't get me wrong, Pernicious B12 Anemia can cause just as worse symptoms and have devastating effects..

You haven't been officially diagnosed nor could you be without first seeing the results of an actual B12 blood test

One more thing, if you know about B12 Deficiency, you know that it rarely has anything to do with genetics. I know you're mom and your sister have it but I wouldn't assume you do as well, just because you have a few symptoms, especially if you've never had a B12 test to prove it
    Ok firstly, I feel like you maybe took offense to my reply..I meant no offense I was just encouraging you to read more about it...secondly I said the doctor said I couldn't have b12 deficiency because according to my hemoglobin levels I wasn't anemic. All I said was that it was possible to be b12 deficient and not test positive for anemia...also, B12 deficiency when caused by pernicious anemia is hereditary...lastly I realize I haven't taken the B12 serum test yet (I take it tomorrow) but I feel really ill and after reading some of the stories of misdiagnosis I was not going to let my doctor who is clearly not educated enough on the subject of b12 deficiency, dictate to me what I feel and go on feeling horrible...

Last edited by Ivebeenbetter; 09-16-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

So this past Monday I had the Serum b12 and The uMMA test done...Monday wasn't a great day ( I seem to have good and bad days symptom wise) so I completely forgot to ask how long it would take to get the results.......I'm wondering how long it took other people to get their results?

Also, to those who have "burning" in their calves and feet? What does it feel like? I'm experiencing a sort of a "windburn" like sensation? Would that be accurate? It's not like super painful burning but more of a slight to mild sunburn feeling?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #22
    kikijean
    (female)

kikijean HB User

I'm sure the B12 result is done, the UMMA may take a week because most labs have to send it out to a reference lab. I have the same exact sunburn feeling you describe on the tops of my feet, while the bottoms of my feet are numb. I find myself always stretching my feet while I'm sitting for some reason. I hope you start your methylB12 soon. You'll start to feel better. There are a few people who experience "startup" symptoms though. Which means sometimes you'll have a spike in symptoms as your nervous system comes back to life. Don't be alarmed and keep right with it. Good luck on your road to recovery and keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Ok so I just got back from the doctor and my b12 level was 228... I have a new doctor now and it was funny because she looked over the results and said "ok everything looks normal"
    so I asked if I could see the results and was shocked when I saw 228! And she just said it was normal...I had to tell her that it was not normal and that I was in fact deficient...I have been taking the methyl b12 sublinguals so I told her that and she said that I should also take a multivitamin and vitamin d...I have to go back because she said she is going to give me a barrage of tests (yay) so she can see if I'm deficient anywhere else...thank you to everyone who was so supportive of me on this website I appreciate it very much

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
    scott28
    (male)

scott28 HB User

I feel for you. I started showing symptoms back in June. It started with a panic attack where my right arm went numb. The numbness started to spread to my legs, feet, and face, and like so many others I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and panic attacks. But I hadn't had an anxiety related panic attack in over 10 years, and there was no reason for me to have anxiety in my life. However, I do think that as the symptoms increased I did begin to develop anxiety because I was scared and didn't know why I was constantly not feeling right. Last week I went in for a physical and asked that my labs be tested for everything. I came back at under 300 for B12, which I totally was not expecting. But it all makes sense now. The bad thing is that my symptoms have gotten really bad the last week. I've thought I had either the flu or meningitis. I was up all night last night with tremors, muscle spasms, burning areas on my skin, and heart palpitations. I'm writing this right now from outside the emergency room. They took blood, said everything looks fine, and gave me a B12 shot and sent me on my way. But I still feel absolutely horrible. I've never felt so sick in my life. They don't get it, but the good news is that my PCP is starting to, and she's realizing what this is doing to me. I just hope hope the shots and supplements start to make things better soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to scott28:
    Ivebeenbetter (10-26-2012)
    Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scott28 View Post
    I feel for you. I started showing symptoms back in June. It started with a panic attack where my right arm went numb. The numbness started to spread to my legs, feet, and face, and like so many others I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and panic attacks. But I hadn't had an anxiety related panic attack in over 10 years, and there was no reason for me to have anxiety in my life. However, I do think that as the symptoms increased I did begin to develop anxiety because I was scared and didn't know why I was constantly not feeling right. Last week I went in for a physical and asked that my labs be tested for everything. I came back at under 300 for B12, which I totally was not expecting. But it all makes sense now. The bad thing is that my symptoms have gotten really bad the last week. I've thought I had either the flu or meningitis. I was up all night last night with tremors, muscle spasms, burning areas on my skin, and heart palpitations. I'm writing this right now from outside the emergency room. They took blood, said everything looks fine, and gave me a B12 shot and sent me on my way. But I still feel absolutely horrible. I've never felt so sick in my life. They don't get it, but the good news is that my PCP is starting to, and she's realizing what this is doing to me. I just hope hope the shots and supplements start to make things better soon.
    Firstly welcome to the forum and secondly, I feel for you too...I know it's terrible and I think the anxiety is because you don't know what's going on with your body and sometimes it's worse when the doctors look at you like you're crazy...I'm glad your Pcp is finally realizing what's going on...hope you're feeling better soon

Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
    scott28
    (male)

scott28 HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words. I know that now I just have to be patient, but it's really difficult since I seem to've had a rapid decline over the last week.

I'm curious, when you say you felt 'ill', what has it been like? Is it like an 'electric' flu? I don't know of any better way to describe what the sickness part of mine has been like. Many years ago I had meningitis, and it feels a bit like that...nervous system 'illness', but genuinely sick like the flu. Just curious if it's the same thing.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #27
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

Hmm....it's a bit difficult to describe....I felt drugged almost...like lightheaded, dizzy and disoriented...and that was just the beginning, I've had so many symptoms since, that I almost feel like a hypochondriac half the time...mostly I just knew what I was feeling wasn't the way I normally felt so something had to be wrong, you know? It definitely feels like an attack on my nervous system...I have to wear eyeglasses now thanks to my deficiency...it's completely felt like a downward spiral health wise....

Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
    scott28
    (male)

scott28 HB User

So I've now had six injections of 1000MCG Methylcobalamin. I can say that I definitely feel better. I have way more energy and feel much more alert. However, the neuropathy is still with me. It's actually seemed to've gotten a little worse over the last two days, but from what I understand, that's to be expected.

I've also had some raging gut issues the last few days. I've been experiencing a bit of nausea after eating for the last week or so, but things got pretty bad two days ago. As I look back, I started experiencing a lot of bloating and burping a few months ago, about the time when I started showing symptoms. Two days ago I was so bloated after lunch that I couldn't move or eat. I've barely eaten the last two days, but do feel a little better today. Not sure if it's because I started taking probiotics or not.

I did have an ultrasound of my gallbladder, liver, and kidney today because my PCP thinks it might be gall stones. I have read that your gallbladder can get affected due to a B12 deficiency.

I'm also heading to the gastro next week so that hopefully they can help determine why I'm not absorbing B12 properly. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

I'm glad that the shots have helped, I wish I could get them...the sublinguals seem to be doing the trick though...I hope everything else is ok as well...the gut issues may be another B12 issue as atrophic gastritis is a symptom for some...I hope you find the answer, I'm still trying to find mine :/ *crosses fingers*

Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #30
    scott28
    (male)

scott28 HB User
    Angry Re: B12 Deficiency?

So I went to see the gastrointerologist today, and I just want to say that he was the biggest A-hole doctor I've ever met. He's apparently buddies with the last doctor I saw (who I'm not seeing anymore) who said I'm not B12 deficient and it's all stress and anxiety. This guy said the same thing and that my symptoms aren't in line with a B12 deficiency and that my number (306) wasn't low anyways. I told him that a hematologist, a neurologist, and a different internist ALL said my level was low. And his reply was, "well, you're not seeing any of 'my people'". I was appalled.

He also went on to say that people with B12 deficiencies don't have gastrointestinal problems!

He did say he'd do an endoscopy to make sure nothing is going on in my stomach, but at this point I'm debating even having anything to do with him again.

Why do these doctors have such a hard time giving this any credit? It's like they just want to pass it off like it doesn't exist. I don't get it.

Closed Thread