It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Fingernail question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Question Fingernail question

I have low iron at 36 and noticed my fingernails have a white streak across the nail, not up and down, with a little bit of indentation where the white streak is.

Has anyone had this with low iron?

I had severe bloodloss end of July this year. Took iron for a month which I think may have lowered my thyroid hormones. So stopped the iron for a month, started feeling better, got iron checked and it was 36, so have been taking Pro Fe 180mgs a day with vitamin c for about 2 weeks. Also take b12 2500mcgs su
    blingually everyday.

THINK I FOUND THE NAME IT IS KOILONYCHIA BUT NOT AS SEVERE AS THE PICTURE IS I FOUND

Last edited by Lady50; 10-12-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Fingernail question

I had it a little but not that bad. Actually this is a pretty common indicator of low iron, "spoon shaped nails".

Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

Thanks again Heather. since my test show low iron of 36 two weeks ago, yep I would say its iron.

The doc was wrong about my thyroid tests but was right about it taking 3 months to build up iron.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
    Ivebeenbetter
    (male)

Ivebeenbetter HB User

I have the ridges associated with b12 deficiency but no spooning of the nail...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

No problem. I haven't had my Iron Checked in almost a month and a half. I ran out and have been taking Flinstone's Vitamins for the last few days and I'm not taking it in heavy doses anymore. I kinda got a forget it attitude, I'm mad with myself because I know I need to but I just want to give up. I need to go but why, so they can just tell me I'm low and not going up? Taking iron for 5 months and nothing has gotten better but my hematocrit and hemoglobin. I'm so tireddddd . I have my uterine ablation coming up on the 29 and I'm not fully convinced it's even going to help, I guess I am just so used to hearing it's not getting better that I have a hard time believing it ever will.

Closed Thread