It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Dr says low iron, but not anemia, so shouldn't have SX???!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
    Mom to four
    (female)

Mom to four HB User
    Dr says low iron, but not anemia, so shouldn't have SX???!

Hi everyone,

I am a very active 41 year old. Have been feeling tired for around a year and a half, with increasing headaches, dizziness, hairloss, and joint pain in last year. Initially I thought it was 'normal' since I have 4 children (youngest was newborn when first started noticing tiredness) and just did cross country move to FL! In March, I decided to tackle the sx and visited a local MD. He did bloodwork and levels were

Hemoglobin 11.5
    Haemocrit 36.9
    Iron serum 36
    Iron saturation 10
    Ferritin 8
    The Dr said it was low iron but not anemia and shouldn't result in any sx. He said hairloss is postpartum, dizziness caused by possible inner ear imbalance and joint pain is possible early arthritis. Rx was to take OTC 325mg iron/day.

Vitamin D 20 (DX as deficiency and treated with OTC supplements)

In June tests were repeated
    were
    Hemoglobin 12.9
    Haemocrit 38.9
    Iron serum 26
    Iron saturation 9
    Ferritin 29

Vitamin D up to low normal of 36.
    MD again said none of my Sx are related to low iron. Did Neuro evaluation, EKG and chest X-ray in office and referred out for stress test (which I haven't gone as yet). Why stress test??

Am I crazy in thinking low ferritin might account for all my symptoms?? Do I self refer to a hemotologist who can give me some answers? Or look for new PCP? Feel increasingly dizzy and tired and want to get this taken care of ASAP!

Thank you for any advice, insight or suggestions you can give me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Dr says low iron, but not anemia, so shouldn't have SX???!

I also have low iron and it was also 36 and have the symptoms you describe. Have a headache right now and my body hurts when I get out of bed in the morning.

Mine was from losing a lot of blood at one time in late july. I took iron for a month and started feeling really awful, but that was related to hypothyroidism. Either too much iron suppressing thyroid or whatever doctor didn't know. So after stopping the iron for a month, my iron stores went way down. So should be better in a couple of weeks.

The polyshacrid(spelling) iron is really good because it is nonconstipating. I am taking some samples right now but have ordered Ferrex 150.

I do not know why the doc did not give you a script for some good iron.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Dr says low iron, but not anemia, so shouldn't have SX???!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mom to four View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am a very active 41 year old. Have been feeling tired for around a year and a half, with increasing headaches, dizziness, hairloss, and joint pain in last year. Initially I thought it was 'normal' since I have 4 children (youngest was newborn when first started noticing tiredness) and just did cross country move to FL! In March, I decided to tackle the sx and visited a local MD. He did bloodwork and levels were

Hemoglobin 11.5
    Haemocrit 36.9
    Iron serum 36
    Iron saturation 10
    Ferritin 8
    The Dr said it was low iron but not anemia and shouldn't result in any sx. He said hairloss is postpartum, dizziness caused by possible inner ear imbalance and joint pain is possible early arthritis. Rx was to take OTC 325mg iron/day.

Vitamin D 20 (DX as deficiency and treated with OTC supplements)

In June tests were repeated
    were
    Hemoglobin 12.9
    Haemocrit 38.9
    Iron serum 26
    Iron saturation 9
    Ferritin 29

Vitamin D up to low normal of 36.
    MD again said none of my Sx are related to low iron. Did Neuro evaluation, EKG and chest X-ray in office and referred out for stress test (which I haven't gone as yet). Why stress test??

Am I crazy in thinking low ferritin might account for all my symptoms?? Do I self refer to a hemotologist who can give me some answers? Or look for new PCP? Feel increasingly dizzy and tired and want to get this taken care of ASAP! NO! (see below)

Thank you for any advice, insight or suggestions you can give me!
    While your ferritin is considered normal it's still in the low range this number can go all the way up to 200, do you think your crazy? I sure don't! I got my ferritin in the 30's and still felt horrible and most people don't even report feeling any better til they are in the 50-70 range. You know how you feel.

Closed Thread