It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Asthma and Venofer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
    drinkme0
    (female)

drinkme0 HB User
    Asthma and Venofer?

This is my first post to this board.

I'm a 39yo female. I've been suffering from anemia for some time (10-15 years), but only recently saw a hematologist.

I've got adenomyosis, endometriosis, and a fibroid. My OB originally directed me to take oral iron 1x day during the week of my period.

The hematologist said that definitely was not enough. She had me start taking 325 mg (65 elemental units) 3x day. I've been having problems with the oral iron (diarrhea, irritating GERD and keeping me up at night). My hematologist had me give it some time and I tried a few different types of iron, as well as adding Vitamin C with each dose.

My hematologist said sometimes people just aren't able to tolerate oral iron, so I'm scheduled for my first IV of Venofer on Friday.

My current numbers are Ferritin - 5 and Hemoglobin - 11.

My question is, I noticed in the product documentation for Venofer that people with Asthma are more likely to experience a severa allergic reaction. I have Asthma. The doctor doesn't seem worried and assured me they would adminster a test dose, then wait to see how I react.

Has anyone with Asthma received Venofer? Any problems?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Asthma and Venofer?

I can't help you here just wanted to offer some words and thoughts for you, mainly of encouragement.

These people know what they are doing and have studied to treat these problems. Your numbers are really low and I'm sure the benefits outweigh the risks or the Dr. would not do this.

If by some chance you do have a severe reaction they are trained and well, they know what they need to do to help you and stop it. You can read around the boards and see that some do have reactions, feel muggish, tired, run down, etc but you are lucky. Some of us struggle really bad with it and continue taking oral iron with Dr's who aren't doing IV. You are getting the iron directly where it needs to be! No taking pills everyday for months on end, . You just need to go in positive and not think about the what ifs. If you are super concerned maybe run it by the hematologist before the infusion so she can ease your mind.

I am rooting for you and praying that you have a safe infusion and don't have a reaction! I hope you feel wonderful and this iron kicks in for you quickly!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
    drinkme0
    (female)

drinkme0 HB User

Thank you for the word of encouragement! I do realize after reading posts on this board, that I probably have a great doc! I did actually leave a message about this and she doesn't seem too concerned. I admit, I'm probably a bit neurotic.

I am definitely looking forward to feeling better. I honestly don't know how I've been managing to function lately.

I'm just trying to prepare myself as much as possible (Will I need someone to drive me after? Will I be able to go home? How long with the whole thing take? Do I need someone to watch/take care of my 2 year old over the weekend. etc.).

I appreciate the reply. I'm feeling hopeful, just trying to make sure I'm aware of possible outcomes.

The following user gives a hug of support to drinkme0:
    Heatherx5 (10-17-2012)
    Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Oh I would probably be a little neurotic too. You have every right to be. Sometimes it's hard but we have to put our faith in other people and pray the right choices are made. Keeping yourself educated and informed through the whole process is a good idea. Just don't go to neurotic .

From what I have read iron infusions can last up to 4 hours and be as fast as 2, I think the longest it took so far that I have read (here) was almost 8 hours, she had some really bad issues though, I wouldn't even plan on that being the case for you. You can drive yourself home and you should be ok to return to your normal routine. A lot do report that they do feel very tired and sick. If you have someone available, why not give yourself a break to rest and relax? I would!

Just remember these ladies/gents do this everyday and they are going to be watching and with you the whole time to make sure that you are doing ok and if needed treat you if you have a reaction. I am sure they will even keep you around for a while after the infusion to make sure everything is ok.

I was so tired when I read this the first time I just realized you posted "test dose". With a test dose they just give you a very small amount of iron over a few minutes and see how you react. Not much at all.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 10-17-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
    Huttotom
    (female)

Huttotom HB User

I have asthma and I just finished my third infusion today. I've not any any side effects related to asthma.

Closed Thread