It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Please help! Need info!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
    megk3
    (female)

megk3 HB User
    Please help! Need info!

Iv'e never been on a health board before, but really need advice and info. I've been sick for months. Found out I'm anemic and b12 deficient. My ferritin level is 10 and very low in b12. A year ago i was hospitalized with collitis. terrible infection and blood supply had been cut off in sigmoid colon. I have 3 teenage kids and am trying so hard to function. My legs hurt so bad it's hard to walk sometimes and excruciating headaches. I'm having endoscopy on holloween to see if i have a bleeding ulcer. No family history of anemia and i've never been before. I'm taking large doses of iron and b12, but no luck on getting better. My marriage is suffering, my kids miss the mom I used to be ( involved in band, baseball, etc. ). Anyone have similar problems?? What helped you and did you get better???

The following user gives a hug of support to megk3:
    tyot (10-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
    wersthebeef
    (female)

wersthebeef HB User
    Re: Please help! Need info!

Keep going to your doctors to make sure that you are absorbing the iron and b12. Eat lean red meat, chicken, and salmon. Meat is the best source of b12 and iron. Try to hang in there, in my experience the iron pills give me crazy mood swings, make me really anxious and angry. You will have to take them for months too so just try not to get too stressed and relax.

What's helping me right now is just trying to make it through the day and not try to do anything extra. Taking it as easy as I can, try to focus on doing what the doctors are telling me to do and making it through work and that's it. The iron is definitely helping me but it takes time, and the amount of iron I take all at once makes me feel bipolar. This anemia thing has really made me crazy so I'm just trying to take it one day at a time until I don't have to take so much iron at once.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
    megk3
    (female)

megk3 HB User

Thanks for the advice and info, it's comforting to know I'm not alone in dealing with this! I had my endoscopy yesterday. I have several small ulcers in my lower stomach and upper intestine. My doctor said I also have gastritis and esophagitis (sp?). Possible Chrohns or celiac disease. Would this explain the anemia and b12 deficiency? Waiting for the biopsy results and also have to do colonoscopy now. The doctor talked to my husband while i was coming out of anestesia, I wish i would have been alert enough to ask some questions. I would really like to know if any of you have experienced these multiple problems? I have to hope that eventually my doctors will figure this out. It feels like it's taking forever to identify and solve the problem.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
    twinmom3
    (female)

twinmom3 HB User

I have actually never posted on one of these sites either but after reading your post felt I should. I have been anemic (severly) for about 8 years. you need to make sure you go to a hematologist. A regular MD is not really qualified (in my opinion) to deal with this issue. they are not aggressive and don't understand how bad the symptoms are to deal with. Iron pills will take forever for your body to absorb. you need to maybe consider a few things. One is you most likely are b12 deficient and need b12 shots. b12 and iron go hand in hand. Also you should consider doing a series of ferrlicet (not sure of spelling) infusions. basically you get iron in an IV over a series of days or weeks. Most family doctors will not prescribe this. I was diagnosed when my hemoglobin was at a 9 and my ferritin was at 4. I Have all the same symptoms as you and probably a few more. You need to stress that it is fine for them to try and figure out what is causing it but in the mean time they need to treat it aggressively. I remember actually when my twins were only 4 and I couldn't physically get out of bed in the morning. I get restless leg syndrome if my ferritin is under 40, hair loss, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion (more like ADD where I can't remember what I am talking about mid sentence) and just over all tired and achiness. the worst is the excruciating headaches and leg cramps. I went to several doctors who would do the cbc and say nothing is wrong with me that I have twins and that is why I am tired. keep your chin up and seek a good hematologist. Hope this helps.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
    megk3
    (female)

megk3 HB User

I'm so glad you replied!! You understand totally what I'm going through! I am b12 deficient along with the anemia and my feritin level is 10. My hair has been falling out so much that I had to get a short hair cut to make it not look so bad. I agree that most doctors don't understand how debilitating the symptoms are. I have never had so much pain before and the brain fog is very annoying. I will take your advice and go to a hemotologist. I saw one in the past because I hemorraged after a surgery and my blood doesn't clot normaly. They never could diagnose why I have that problem so I didn't pursue it further. We seem to have a lot in common with how this makes us feel so I hope we stay in touch on this board. You've been suffering for eight years?! Do you have periods of remission where your anemia and b12 are normal? How often do you have to do infusions?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
    wersthebeef
    (female)

wersthebeef HB User

I have read that celiac disease indeed can cause iron deficiency and other types of nutritional deficiencies. I hope they find out what is wrong with you. Anemia can be caused by so many different things, it's not always blood loss. You could have a blood disorder or a digestive disorder which could lead to an absorption problem. Just keep going to the doctors. To me since you said you have ulcers it sounds like it's related to your digestive system, either from blood loss or malabsorption.

Closed Thread