It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin dropping despite Ferrex 150 supps

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

Fitness Seeker HB UserFitness Seeker HB User
    Ferritin dropping despite Ferrex 150 supps

Some of you may have seen my many posts on health issues I've been experiencing over the years--anemia, single digit ferritin, fibroids, etc.

I recently had a f/u lab done and my ferritin, instead of going up, dropped alot, so i was wondering if anyone has this happened and maybe could shed some light.

i've been having single digit ferritin for years (that I know of). Had fibroids removed 3.5 yrs ago but ferritin still was single digit. In Feb 2012 I saw a hematologist for the 1st time and he recommended "polysac iron" which he suggested i buy online. As instructed he told me to take 2 and just keep taking them long-term. So for 4 months that 's what i did. 4 months later it went from 7 to 15. Saw him and he said to continue and we'll do a re-draw in 4 months. During the next 4 months I've taken at least 2 on most days. Sometimes i even take 3 or 4. So when I went to get my results I had expected a bigger increase. But was very perplexed (and so was he) that it went from 15 to 9.

We did a stool test to see if there is any GI bleeding 7 months ago and it came back negative. I might have had this test 1.5 yrs ago as well w/ a family MD. he offered to do another stool test but said in the meantime just keep taking the supps.

I can't think of anything that may contribute to this. Why might i not be absorbing? Are any foods i'm eating maybe cancelling them out? i don't really drink milk too much. I only have it occasionally but only 2 ounces or so put into instant coffee b/c i dont like black. i dont really have dairy.

the only thing i can think of is that when i did the lab i was off iron supps for 3 weeks b/c I was out of town and my schedule got crazy. I have been reading alot of the posts here and seems alot of ppl have bought the ferrex 150 online, too. Some mentioned that there is a huge differential on cost buying them online vs at the pharmacy and i think some ppl mentioned that the only diff in the capsules is that at the pharamcy they are so tight that when you pinch them it doesn't really give and the ones we buy online is a little looser. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Ferritin dropping despite Ferrex 150 supps

I did find out that that type of iron is ferric iron and does not absorb as well as ferrous sulfate. Guess the ferrex 150 will go in the trash.

Was taking Profe iron which is ferric iron and wasn't helping much.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

Really? Wow, gosh i just bought 2 brand new boxes. sigh. Which one should i take?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User

The doctor gave me samples of Pro fe which is ferric iron. I noticed that I was not improving as much as when taking the ferrous sulfate in August. After a month on the ferrous sulfate 325mcgs 3 times a day I felt good(accept it did suppress my thyroid hormones a bit).

So just bought me a bunch of ferrous sulfate. I think there are others like ferrous fumerate etc.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
    flyingaimlessly
    (female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

I agree, you may just need a different iron supplement. My doctor put me on Icar-C (elemental iron) and my numbers got lower and lower. Now I'm on ferrous gluconate and my numbers have continually gone up.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

ok i will try switching the type of iron supps. Coudl you gals give me some baseline numbers , how long and how frquently you take your supps and how many points it went up by.

The hema told me to do a recheck in 8 months but I'd really like an assessment much sooner than that. otherwise i'd waste another yr not knowing if it's working for me or not.

anyone take molasses ? If so, how do you sneak it into your food? i'm not crazy of the taste. but i'm gonna do as much as i can given i'm so desperate. Also, plan to cook my oatmeal in an iron pot.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
    flyingaimlessly
    (female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

I would see if the hematologist would recheck you sooner than that, even if it's just labs without an appointment. Every time we tried a new pill, I was rechecked in 3-4 weeks to make sure I was at least responding a little.

Currently I take 2 324 mg ferrous gluconate tabs a day, with 500mg of vitamin C each dose.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
    Fitness Seeker
    (female)

I have begun taking blackstrap molasses for 1.5 weeks after reading about its effects on iron building. My hema is ok, within range, 12. If i stop taking iron supps would the hema eventually go down, too. I wanted to test the ferritin after taking the molasses for a month before switching to a diff iron. I stopped taking the ferrex 150.

Closed Thread