It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What's this mean? RBC/mcv/mch?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
    brainskaput
    (female)

brainskaput HB User
    Question What's this mean? RBC/mcv/mch?

I have some autoimmune problems that my docs think caused my WBC to tank (neutropenia). My RBC are also low, but it's pretty consistent over time. Still, I am concerned because the RBC # also decreased even more this year along with the WBC. It's ranged from at limit 3.8 to below limit 3.63. At the same time, the mcv has been consistently elevated at around 101-102; and the mch has been elevated around 3.8 (from March to October). I personally think the increased mcv and mch are why my hemoglobin is still normal (12.6-13.3). Concerned (my wbc has been as low as 3), I asked to have my reticulocyte count added to the latest bloodcheck, and it was .4% (low, since range is .5+) but more importantly, maybe, is absolute number of these precursor RBC, which was 15,240 (LOW, with norm 20K-80K!).

In MY mind, with borderline to LOW RBC counts, I should have AT MINIMUM normal reticulocyte counts if not elevated retic counts. My famdoc said no biggie because I'm not anemic. What I wonder, though, is why my mcv/mch are elevated; and if my hemoglobin is ok simply because my RBC are carrying more hemoglobin, not because I'm "ok" regarding RBC production. Can anyone help me understand?

Fwiw, my family doc and my rheumatologist both think I have an autoimmune problem causing the low WBC but I don't understand how that impacts the RBC (and IF it's impacting the RBC, which they first said, why my retic count is low and not elevated). To *me*, the pieces don't fit.

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
    Linda1652
    Inactive
    (female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User
    Re: What's this mean? RBC/mcv/mch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainskaput View Post
    I have some autoimmune problems that my docs think caused my WBC to tank (neutropenia). My RBC are also low, but it's pretty consistent over time. Still, I am concerned because the RBC # also decreased even more this year along with the WBC. It's ranged from at limit 3.8 to below limit 3.63. At the same time, the mcv has been consistently elevated at around 101-102; and the mch has been elevated around 3.8 (from March to October). I personally think the increased mcv and mch are why my hemoglobin is still normal (12.6-13.3). Concerned (my wbc has been as low as 3), I asked to have my reticulocyte count added to the latest bloodcheck, and it was .4% (low, since range is .5+) but more importantly, maybe, is absolute number of these precursor RBC, which was 15,240 (LOW, with norm 20K-80K!).

In MY mind, with borderline to LOW RBC counts, I should have AT MINIMUM normal reticulocyte counts if not elevated retic counts. My famdoc said no biggie because I'm not anemic. What I wonder, though, is why my mcv/mch are elevated; and if my hemoglobin is ok simply because my RBC are carrying more hemoglobin, not because I'm "ok" regarding RBC production. Can anyone help me understand?

Fwiw, my family doc and my rheumatologist both think I have an autoimmune problem causing the low WBC but I don't understand how that impacts the RBC (and IF it's impacting the RBC, which they first said, why my retic count is low and not elevated). To *me*, the pieces don't fit.

Thanks for any thoughts or input!
    Your MCV,MCH and RBC are very similar to mine. I am having more bloodwork done this week. My Dr. has checked me for a B12 deficiency and low folic acid. Now she is even sending me for a colonoscopy, and checking feritin among other things. If you drink, even moderately, it could affect your mcv/mch.

Closed Thread