It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin is at 5, hair falling out for over 2.5 years now...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
    karibarry
    (female)

karibarry HB User
    Ferritin is at 5, hair falling out for over 2.5 years now...

So, I saw my doctor a year ago because my hair was falling out and it was bad! I have lost about half of the thickness of my hair. He only tested my thyroid because thyroid issues run in my family. The thyroid came out normal so he said it was just stress because I was finishing up college. I finished up college and my hair is still thinning. I have horrible dizzy spells while laying in bed like I drank all night and my back constantly aches and my shins ache likes someone kicked me.
    So I went back to a different doctor and she rechecked my tsh and also did a ferritin, cbc,b12 and a chem panel.
    Ferritin- 5
    B12- 125
    I received and B12 shot and have to get a b12 shot once a week for at least a month.
    He also prescribed a iron pill and said come back in 3 months and thats it.
    I am irritated! My hair used to be long and thick! I am now ditzy and have thin yucky ugly hair! I couldn't even take prenatal pills with the little bit of iron in it, what makes him think I can take single iron pill without barfing?
    My question to all of you is, should I skip my GP and go straight to hematologist and request a IV infusion in hopes of getting my iron up faster??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Ferritin is at 5, hair falling out for over 2.5 years now...

What is your hematocrit, hemoglobin, and iron serum levels? In my opinion if those are all low as well I would definitely just go straight to a hematologist. I am going on 7 months of taking iron orally and wish I would have gone to a hematologist. The hematologist will get iron in you much faster then the oral rate. Try not to be to irritated once your levels start going up you will see new hair sprouting all over the place. I lost so much hair, I always thought it was normal and went on like that for a while, over a year. Gobs and gobs would fall out while I was in the shower. Wish I knew sooner!

Good luck to you!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
    karibarry
    (female)

karibarry HB User

My hgb hct is normal but way lower than usual. I am usually 16.8-17.5 for hgb (I know unusual, I have been since I was a teen and I am now almost 31) and now I dropped to 13.2. I am beginning to suspect a unknown bleed. Colon Polyps run in my family, I take daily ibuprofen for nerve pain in my ankle from an injury..it could be anything.
    I am at a loss.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

Have you checked into Celiac's? Heavy Cycles or Fibroids? Usually in women our age those are the main causes.

Closed Thread