It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemic? But iron did nothing to help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
    Tooscared23
    (female)

Tooscared23 HB User
    Anemic? But iron did nothing to help

About four and a half years ago I had my blood drawn. Got a call from my doctor, who said I was severely anemic and I needed to start taking iron pills. I thought great, finally I'll feel better! I swear I have chronic fatigue syndrome, I have chronic migraines, coupled with daily headaches, I'm so weak it's pathetic, tire out easily, crave ice like its going out of style, and the smell of tires makes my life complete. Oh, I'm always freezing, even in the summer, and my hands, feet, and top of my head tingle a lot. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I've got off the top of my head. So I was ready! Iron pills here I come! She warned me that it would probably take a good 3 months before I started noticing any changes. Well I stayed on them for 3 years, mainly so long because in the middle of that I was pregnant and my doctor said I had to continue on them for my daughters health, and then after to prevent the risk of hemorrhage. I've since stopped wasting my money on them because I never saw any changes in any of my complaints. My doctor never gave me numbers, just said I needed iron. Drew my blood again, insisted again I'm severely anemic and need iron. I refuse to spend money on it, when she has me taking 3 325 mg tabs a day and it's not helping. Can anyone with experience recommend anything else? Im at the end of my rope, and I was thinking maybe a naturopath. Anyone har experience with one of those doctors? Thanks I appreciate any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
    kkmo1970
    (female)

kkmo1970 HB User
    Smile Re: Anemic? But iron did nothing to help

I am 42 years old and I have had three children...they are all in their teens now but I first became anemic 19 years ago when my son was born due to loss of blood..for years i always thought I was still really anemic, but as time went on I just accepted it and really did nothing about it..until 5 months ago I went into E.R. for rapid heart rate and after CBC and tests it was found that my hemoglobin was 7.5..I started taking 325 mg of iron and met with my dr and as time went on I still felt like the iron wasn't working..so during the time of my period I was really bad and went into drs and they did an ultrasound and found I had fibroids..I started going to an OB/GYN and decided to get a procedure called a novasure eblation and she increased my iron to 650 mg a day..I havent gotten the procedure scheduled yet..But they ended up doubling my iron and after alot of research I started taking Vitamin C with the Iron..I took it on an empty stomach before I ate and made sure I didn't drink coffee or pop with caffeine with it because the vitamin c helps absorb the iron ( even a glass of o.j is good if u dont want to take vitamin c pills or gummies)and caffeine makes it harder to absorb the iron..I started eating tuna and try to eat peanut butter atleast every other day..I also made myself get use to maple flavor cream of wheat because it has 50 % iron in a serving..wheat bread is better then white and I love crackers for a snack so I eat multigrain crackers..Even when I get a sweet tooth..I eat reeses peanut butter cups and even mounds has some iron in it..I came from getting blood work done today and found that with adding and taking away certain things my hemoglobin is now 11.2. I also actually changed my coffee to folgers 1/2 caf and 1/2 decaf brand!!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Anemic? But iron did nothing to help

It is important to find out what type of anemia you have and why you are anemic. You may have anemia from some other deficiency besides iron, or you may not be absorbing iron from your GI tract, which can happen in celiac disease caused by gluten intolerance. I would see a hematologist, who will try to get to the cause of your anemia, and treat it accordingly. It is worth pursuing so you can feel well and be healthier overall. Blood loss must be ruled out as well, perhaps from the GI tract or menstrual abnormalities. Once the cause is established, it will be easier to correct.

Closed Thread