It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Anemia Message Board

  • ready to give up!!!!! help

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    worrywort's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: ca
    Posts: 1,458
    worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    ready to give up!!!!! help

    A few months ago I had a ferritin of 4 then a 13 but my hemoglobin became normal.doc is now saying my symptoms are unrelated to anemia because my hemoglobin is normal!!! My ferritin is still low though! Hair loss and everything else that comes with low ferritin! please, any advice? maybe find a new hemo doc? so frustrated! he didnt even check my ferritin this last visit! it took 2 months for it to get to 13 from 4.
    thanks so much!
    __________________
    Carly

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Heatherx5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Posts: 426
    Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
    A few months ago I had a ferritin of 4 then a 13 but my hemoglobin became normal.doc is now saying my symptoms are unrelated to anemia because my hemoglobin is normal!!! My ferritin is still low though! Hair loss and everything else that comes with low ferritin! please, any advice? maybe find a new hemo doc? so frustrated! he didnt even check my ferritin this last visit! it took 2 months for it to get to 13 from 4.
    thanks so much!
    Worry, you need to still take the iron. My hematocrit and hemoglobin are both great yet my ferritin still struggles to to rise. Don't stop taking the iron, maybe get a second opinion if you can. This is something that needs to be done under a Dr's care. My Dr. says the anemia diagnosis still sticks as long as my ferritin is low and won't stop treating it till I get higher up. With your hemoglin and hopefully hematocrit rising that should help your numbers go up faster.

    Unfortunately ferritin takes a long time to go up. I just had a uterine ablation done on Monday my ferritin is a 33 as of now and that is after 8 months of taking iron and a ferritin starting at 2. My OBGYN even said I need to continue to take the iron with normal hematocrit and globin. She told me plan on taking iron for another year.

    I hope you can find someone that is going to help you. Your ferritin is still way to low.

     
    The following user gives a hug of support to Heatherx5:
    worrywort (01-03-2013)
    Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    worrywort's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: ca
    Posts: 1,458
    worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heatherx5 View Post
    Worry, you need to still take the iron. My hematocrit and hemoglobin are both great yet my ferritin still struggles to to rise. Don't stop taking the iron, maybe get a second opinion if you can. This is something that needs to be done under a Dr's care. My Dr. says the anemia diagnosis still sticks as long as my ferritin is low and won't stop treating it till I get higher up. With your hemoglin and hopefully hematocrit rising that should help your numbers go up faster.

    Unfortunately ferritin takes a long time to go up. I just had a uterine ablation done on Monday my ferritin is a 33 as of now and that is after 8 months of taking iron and a ferritin starting at 2. My OBGYN even said I need to continue to take the iron with normal hematocrit and globin. She told me plan on taking iron for another year.

    I hope you can find someone that is going to help you. Your ferritin is still way to low.
    Thanks Heather! I can still show syptoms even though my hemoglobin up right? so frustrated! I almost had an ablation but went against when my doc said I might have to do it again. I hope that works for you! keep me posted on that. I appreciate your reply so much!
    __________________
    Carly

     
    Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Heatherx5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Posts: 426
    Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
    Thanks Heather! I can still show syptoms even though my hemoglobin up right? so frustrated! I almost had an ablation but went against when my doc said I might have to do it again. I hope that works for you! keep me posted on that. I appreciate your reply so much!
    Oh most definitely you can feel them! You are not alone. My ferritin started at a 2...I went from a 2 to a 33...back down to a 16..up to a 18..back to 14..now 33..it's ridiculous! Until you get that bleeding under control your body is just going to flip flop. Ferritin causes so many symptoms including hairloss, I have a place I can see where my hair is missing and I shed horribly. I hope and pray it comes back.

    That is the thing that concerns me the most with you, ferritin takes FOREVER to go up. Forever. Read around these boards. My ablation so far has been ok. Had it done on Monday. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The first day I had really bad cramping but it went away within about 6 hours. So far has been worth it, my period was do on the 13 still not here. Hoping it stays gone so my body can catch up!

    You know most people don't even report feeling an ounce of better till their ferritin reaches the 50-70's? We are talking about a number that can be all the way to 200....I think maybe a second opinion is needed. Maybe see a hematologist. I don't know. I just wish Dr's would take this more serious, it just seems like something that goes under the rug to often. Makes me...grrr. It's a serious thing and makes you feel so terrible physically and mentally.

    Last edited by Heatherx5; 12-17-2012 at 12:42 AM.

     
    The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
    Marie1010 (01-20-2013)
    Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    worrywort's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: ca
    Posts: 1,458
    worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    Thank you so much! I think I am gonna change doctors. It feels so very good to know I am not alone! Lets please keep in touch. I sure hope things improve for you since you have had ablation. Keep me posted on how you are feeling.
    Carly
    __________________
    Carly

     
    Old 01-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Heatherx5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Posts: 426
    Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    You are definitely not alone and I will keep in touch! So far so good on my end. I need to make an appointment to get my numbers checked and see if not having a cycle for a month has helped at all. Hope you are doing well and good luck with finding a new Dr!

     
    Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
    ADJLL
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    ADJLL's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2012
    Posts: 6
    ADJLL HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    I feel for you, Carly. I've been on palafer for a month so went for a blood test to check iron levels. Hemoglobin was 125 g/L so just into normal range (120 - 150). Ferritin was 15, up from 7 a month ago.
    I got a phone call from the DR's office to let me know that everything was good, all levels were within normal ranges. End of story.
    Wow. It astonishes me that my DR considers a ferritin level of 15 OK. No wonder she never tested my ferritin when I went in complaining of hair loss. She tested my thyroid only.
    So, your doctor seems the same. I could try another DR but we only have 2 in the community where I live and they're both at the same offices. Could be difficult. Also, here in Canada, we just can't make an appointment with a hematologist. I think we'd have to be referred by our regular GP.
    I'm just going to continue with the palafer and continue to ask for monthly iron tests. Hopefully she'll agree to that.

     
    Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Heatherx5's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Posts: 426
    Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: ready to give up!!!!! help

    I am glad you are going to continue with the iron, hopefully she will agree to this. My OB and PCP have both said with a low ferritin they will continue me on the iron and to plan on at least another year. 15 is not ok by any means.

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 AM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!