It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Do these test results look like Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
    at12
    (male)

at12 HB User
    Do these test results look like Anemia?

Hi,
    I have had the following test resullts recently and as im not due to see my doctor til next friday, i wanted some opinions first,

White cell count - 3.25 - x10^9/L - 3.0-10.0
    Red cell count - 4.08 - x10*12/L- 4.4 - 5.8 = LOW
    Haemoglobin - 13.1 g/dl - 13.0 - 17.0
    Lymphocytes- 24.3% 0.79 - x10^9/L - 1.2-3.65 = LOW

See even though i have a LOW red cell count, my haemoglobin is in the range, albeit at the bottom of the range.
    - for the last 7 months i have been following a WAHLS DIET (PALEO DIET) So am eating very few carbs / calories and as a result have lost 16 pounds in the 7 months, going from 133lbs to 117lbs,
    the diet is just lots of organic vegetables, organic meat/seafood, and sme fruit/nuts.
    i guess the lack of calories/carbs from this diet is affecting me, and possibly causing anemia, but the diet is very healthy and very rich in B vitamins and other vitamins/minerals

So just out of curiosity, and as i have a week to wait to see my doctor, what do others think of these results?
    does it look like anemia?

i have been feeling more tired/lethargic lately, my hands are always freezing cold, and am more short-tempered/stressey , but thats about all the anemia symptoms i seem to have

thoughts please?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Do these test results look like Anemia?

Your low hemoglobin/rbc could be a sign of anemia, did you happen to have your iron/ferritin levels checked?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-15-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
    at12
    (male)

at12 HB User

Hi,
    No unfortunately my iron/ferritin wasnt tested,
    but i intend to get them checked a.s.a.p

As for the last 4 days ive been taking Ferrous Fumerate 210mg tablets, each tablet contains 69mg elemental iron - i took 1 tablet a day for 2 days then the last 2 days took 2x a day,

now i realise i need my irons level checked first, so have stopped these iron tablets and plan to get my bloods drawn a.s.ap

how long do i need to wait now till having my bloods drawn, so that the iron ive been taking the last 4 days wont be in my blood / system / affecting the results?

is a serum ferritin the best test to have to get an accurate iron reading?
    are there any other tests i should request?
    thanks

Last edited by at12; 12-15-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User

I would recommend hemoglobin (which you have), hematocrit, ferritin, iron serum, TIBC & UIBC. Mainly the first 4 though. The red blue counts are the ones you want to be looking at. I don't think you have taken enough iron to really cause any sort of issue. With your hemoglobin borderline low, I wouldn't even think it's a big deal. Ferritin is your iron stores which is one of the first things that usually drops when anemia is on the horizon. Ferritin also is one of the hardest things to rebuild after becoming anemic so I would suggest getting these labs done as soon as possible, if indeed you are anemic you will want to find the cause and start treating it. All of your systems are that of anemia. The cold hands stood out to me, mine was cold hands and feet! The sooner you find out the sooner you can get on a good iron diet/iron supps. and start feeling better! Keep us posted on what you find out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
    at12 (12-16-2012)
    Old 12-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
    at12
    (male)

at12 HB User

thanks Heather,

So even if i had my bloods drawn this Friday, that would only be 7 days off the ferrous furmarate , would the reading be an accurate measure of my iron levels with no supplemental iron influence?
    - i just dont want to give an inaccurate reading, saying my iron is high/good, when thats due to the 4 days of iron i took.

By the way, in recent nutrient blood tests,
    Zinc: 14.4 umol/l, 11-24
    Copper: 10.7 umol/l, 11-20

my serum zinc (was low in the range and my serum copper was LOW just out of the healthy range,
    but my calcium, magnesium & vit d3 were high in range, but i do supplement all of these with vitamins.

i've read about copper deficiency causing low red cell count/anemia
    also, as a sufferer of Multiple Sclerosis, this seems to be common - re: nutrient absorption,

and i've been following a Paleo based diet for the last 7 months, so if anything my zinc and copper should be high, based on my daily chicken liver or oysters i eat, which are also good for copper too.

looking at my other results, my B12 and folate were:
    Vitamin B12 - 765 pg/mL - 191 - 663 - HIGH
    Serum Folate - > 20.00 ng/mL - 4.6 - 18.7 (i assume is HIGH being >20 but they must've forgot to type it)

and when i read about IRON deficiency i read also B12 and Folate deficiency is common,
    so the fact my B12 and folate are high, would this suggest Iron is high too?

- now its probably too high, taking 69-138mg (69mg 1st 2days then 2x 69mg (138mg) for 2 days) of elemental iron.

thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 12-15-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Closed Thread