It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low iron saturation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
    Stacey1212
    (female)

Stacey1212 HB User
    Question Low iron saturation

I haven't been feeling well for months. I went for blood work and my DR told me the only thing that was abnormal was my vitamin D level is 8.4. I am losing hair and now have bald spots. I am irritable, queasy and have dull pains in my stomach. I went to an endocrinologist and he told me I am anemic. My iron saturation level is low at 12%. When I asked how much iron I should be taking he said talk to your GP. But the GP was the one that said my iron was fine. I'm a bit lost on how much I need and don't feel like my DR will be helpful. Can anyone help guide me to the right amount of iron I should take? Do you know if this would also cause hair loss? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: Low iron saturation

The best way to tell if your anemic or not is with blood tests. Your saturation is low but what is your iron serum and ferritin level? The iron serum is the amount of iron you have in your system active and the ferritin is the amount of iron that your body has stored. Yes hair loss comes with anemia, specifically a symptom of low ferritin. Did you happen to get your iron serum and ferritin levels checked? These numbers would be awesome to have when giving you advice as to which route you should take in my opinion.

Your iron might be fine but there are a lot of numbers to factor in here and even running borderline low on them can give some awful side effects. Having said that taking iron should be done under a Dr's care, overloading on Iron is a definite possibility and is something that needs to be monitored. If you can ask your GP what your iron serum/ferritin numbers were.

Most people who are anemic take quite a bit of iron everyday, it takes months to raise iron and not something you want to mess with unless your being monitored by a Dr. to make sure your not overloading.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
    Stacey1212
    (female)

Stacey1212 HB User

Thanks for your response. My iron serum is 42. Ferritin is not listed. The only other numbers are iron binding capacity at 345 and UIBC at 303.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
    Stacey1212
    (female)

Stacey1212 HB User

I have the full report from my GP since the gastroenterologist and endocrinologist both wanted a copy.

Closed Thread