It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron supplements and IBS- help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
    redheadsouthpaw
    (female)

redheadsouthpaw HB User
    Question iron supplements and IBS- help?

I am brand new to this site. Hello! Wondering if I can get some input on this..

I have been iron deficient for at least over a year now and my gynocologist just started following my iron levels. Last week: ferritin-10, iron- 39, iron sat-10% (actually these are slightly better than my last readings 1 year ago). My hgb was not checked, but the last time it was checked was about 4 mo ago, and was normal range. (lowest point was 11.8 about 8 months ago, so not really that low.) I was taking an iron pill for several months, but stopped a few months ago when I started having a lot of gi upset and nausea with the pill. My gyno says I need to try to start back up on some form of iron, or he will recommend an iron infusion. I think this is becuase I am trying to get pregnant, and this will decrease my iron stores further. (and also because I have been so tired and fatigued lately.) Still, an iron infusion seems a bit extreme to me, considering my hgb has been stable, and I don't want to do this if I can help it.
    My main problem is that I have IBS and have been having a lot of stomach upset recently, even without the pills. I have trouble putting One-A-Day or prenatals on my stomach, let alone iron. I've been having occasional to frequent bloating, discomfort, gas pains, diahrrea, nausea, etc. When I feel like this, the last thing I want to do is put vitamins on my stomach. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and there any iron supplement out there that you have had luck with that may not upset a sensitive stomach? Maybe I should post this in the IBS section as well..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
    Heatherx5
    Veteran
    (female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
    Re: iron supplements and IBS- help?

I can relate. I have the same exact problems to the "T" as you do. Iron is supposed to constipate and I always worried I was one of the odd because it does just the exact opposite. For the last 8 months I have had the nasty "D" word, nonstop. It's horrid. I have never been checked for IBS because iron can cause people to have Diarrhea rather then constipate them. I dread it and I hate it but what can you do? I don't like what being anemic does to my body so I take the pill and deal with it.

I just recently switched to a slow release iron hoping that would ease up on the effects of iron. Your body can only absorb so much iron at a time anyways so I figured a slower release would give me more or at least my body would be absorbing more of it as it's not all hitting me at once. Maybe it's something you might want to look into.

So to answer your question, yes I'm in the same boat. /wave.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
    DaleP
    (male)

DaleP HB User
    Re: iron supplements and IBS- help?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redheadsouthpaw View Post
    I am brand new to this site. Hello! Wondering if I can get some input on this..

I have been iron deficient for at least over a year now and my gynocologist just started following my iron levels. Last week: ferritin-10, iron- 39, iron sat-10% (actually these are slightly better than my last readings 1 year ago). My hgb was not checked, but the last time it was checked was about 4 mo ago, and was normal range. (lowest point was 11.8 about 8 months ago, so not really that low.) I was taking an iron pill for several months, but stopped a few months ago when I started having a lot of gi upset and nausea with the pill. My gyno says I need to try to start back up on some form of iron, or he will recommend an iron infusion. I think this is becuase I am trying to get pregnant, and this will decrease my iron stores further. (and also because I have been so tired and fatigued lately.) Still, an iron infusion seems a bit extreme to me, considering my hgb has been stable, and I don't want to do this if I can help it.
    My main problem is that I have IBS and have been having a lot of stomach upset recently, even without the pills. I have trouble putting One-A-Day or prenatals on my stomach, let alone iron. I've been having occasional to frequent bloating, discomfort, gas pains, diahrrea, nausea, etc. When I feel like this, the last thing I want to do is put vitamins on my stomach. Has anyone else had a similar issue, and there any iron supplement out there that you have had luck with that may not upset a sensitive stomach? Maybe I should post this in the IBS section as well..
    Ask your doc about novaferrum- - they just came out with an over the counter - no Rx needed, and the stuff is pretty easy on the gut.. it's a liquid but it has a surprisingly good taste to it. ... hope this helps

Closed Thread

Tags
    iron deficency, irritable bowel symdrome