It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Which Iron supplement to take ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User
    Which Iron supplement to take ?

I recently had bloodwork done and my ferritin levels were found to be 8 with Haemoglobin of 12.3. Just wondering if someone could tell me which Iron supplements worked well for them ?

I am currently taking 18mg of Ferrochel Chelated Iron Bisglycinate from NOW foods. Even though it says that it's gentle on the stomach, it does give me some stomach problems. Also, I feel it makes me slightly sleepy and lightheaded during the day.

I keep reading on the forums about Slow Release Iron. Is that better for absorption ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
    SmallSails
    (female)

SmallSails HB User
    Re: Which Iron supplement to take ?

I was recently put on Ferromax 150 capsules. I haven't been able to stomach any other iron pills due to stomach troubles - my levels weren't increasing probably because I was either vomiting, having horrible diarrhea or taking tums which blocks the absorption. They made me so sick. I ended up doing iron shots and iron infusions for awhile because it dropped so low.

I haven't been on them too long but already I can see a HUGE difference with the Ferromax 150. No constipation, no stomach upset. I get a little reflux from time to time but it's hard to blame that solely on the pills; I had it before I started taking them. I just suck it up and avoid the tums because I now know they affect absorption. I haven't had follow-up bloodwork to check but my Hematologist told me they are extremely effective in all the cases which she prescribed them.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-21-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, ferritin level, iron supplements