It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Low ferritin the cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #46
    Swoozle
    (female)

Swoozle HB User
    Re: Low ferritin the cause?

Meant to ask if any of you guys seem to get frequent unexplained illnesses?. I am ill yet again with afever, nausea etc and seem to get things like this all the time.Stomach is so upset that I cant take any iron. Feel down today and like I will never be better and wonder what is wrong witb me. Do you think this is all still low ferritin related?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #47
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

Heather- Are you paying off those bills in small amounts every month? I typed up a letter to the hospital that billed me to let them know I can only afford pay them a little each month and how this is something I thought I was covered under as I thought I went to right facility. Apparently if I had gone to the facility RIGHT next door my bill would've only been 75 dollars. Makes me so angry that my insurance isn't more clear on what is preferred and what isn't. I went to the right address, it was just the wrong suite. :-/

Anyways-- I hope they won't send people to collections if you aren't paying it in full.

Swoozle- I forget a lot, to take the third iron pill. And I don't think the last two are being absorbed in my body because I forget to take them before I eat so I usually just take them whenever. If my day is busy I can't remember to time them out. Plus the wellbutrin which I have forgotton to take sometimes. And I can't take calcium with iron so I have to take that a few hours later. Yeah, pill schedules are the pits.
    lol.
    I can't say I've been feeling "ill" but I have more fatigued now than I was before I started taking the iron. There are moments I just have to stop what I'm doing if I am at home and lay down. I was never like that before.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #48
    marcia1530
    (female)

marcia1530 HB User

Hi there,

I was just reading all your comments on low ferritin...My ferrin is 17 at last blood test, which in australia is at the low end of the range..the lowest being 15..started taking ferrograd which is sulfate tablets and after 2 days constipation so bad and i had palpitations..i also take nexium for acid reflux which i took separately..but wondering if anyone else had bad side effect in sulfate tablets..i have stopped taling them and am looking at herbal iron supplement like flurodix..anyone ever try that?

Also to the person who said their vitamin d was low..mine was too..but after 3weeks of 1000ius a day my levels were back in the normal range..vitamin d tablets much easier to digest then iron...

Cheers

Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #49
    Mandolyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Mandolyn HB UserMandolyn HB User

marcia, i took 325 mg of ferrous sulfate 3x a day for a month and i am out now. if i took it with food it didn't upset my stomach. i am not sure if my body absorbed it though as it said on the bottle to take on empty stomach. but i just couldn't.
    i take a calcium twice a day too- with vitamin D in it. and magnesium twice a day. i now just take 45 mg of iron (over the counter) in the morning. i see my doc at the end of this month and i know he will want to run a blood test to see if my levels have gone up as my ferritin was 9 in the beginning and RBC/hemoglobin was low as well. I still have RLS in the evenings though. I take Xanax and this stuff called hylands leg cramps before bed. They hylands is all natural but expensive!!

Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #50
    kristie-6
    (female)

kristie-6 HB User

How are all of you ladies doing with your iron stores? My Ferritin was 19 about two months ago and I was experiencing fatique, leg pains, hair loss etc. When I would get up in the morning or middle of the night and walk, my feet felt so heavy and sore. Also noticed that the first day of my period I would get a headache. When I found out I had Ferritin of 19, I started taking Solgar Gentle Iron once a day but after doing alot of research, realized that this was not going to replenish my stores, just maintain what I had, I went to 100mg of Gentle Iron (4 pills a day). I was experiencing slight constipation but no stomach pain or bloating etc. I read about Proferrin, which a heme iron supplement, so I bought that and have been taking two of those a day for the past week or so, these seem to be better on my stomach than the 4 Gentle Iron were. My fatique has improved but first day of my period got a headache and some fatique, granted it's only been about a month since I have been taking all of the extra iron to replenish my stores. I am praying that I can get these levels up sooner than a whole year because I am still losing hair and I don't have much hair and I have read that the Proferrin can get it up there quite fast. I am also going in for a Colonoscopy because I have very slight occasional blood in the stool and doctor wants to rule out any bleeding there that could be causing malabsorption and leading to the low ferritin. Please let me know what your experiences are, I am planning to go back to the doctor in the next few weeks to get my levels checked again and I am hoping that they are up. I like Heather's recommendation on the slow release Hemoplex and will likely try those once my proferrin runs out.

Last edited by kristie-6; 10-06-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
    meramera
    (female)

meramera HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laye View Post
    I had low ferritin a couple of years ago..same as you losing hair and run down. I took the Slo-Fe supplement with Lysine. That was easy and the stomach and the lysine helped it to absorb better. My ferritin came up and my hair came back. I hope this helps.
    what was your ferritin level when you were suffering hair loss and when your hair came back what was you ferritin level?

Closed Thread