It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

anemia and pain

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
hhill
(female)

hhill HB User
Smile anemia and pain

Hi everyone, I'm a 22 yo female who has been feeling lousy since about Dec. 2012 with fatigue, low grade fevers and what feels like growing pains. Went to the doc ifJan 2013 and was diagnosed with a low grade depression (recently lost several family members ) and after a blood test was told I wasn't anemic. In Feb I still felt awful all the time so I went to my father's doctor who ran blood tests and that doctor diagnosed me with iron deficient and pernicious anemia, which would explain my fatigue. I've been on b12 and ferrous sulfate for a month and my energy has gotten a smidge better, however physically I'm feeling worse. Sore throats for two weeks at a time, low grade fevers, dizziness and lightheadedness, flu like aches and pains in my joints and what feels like my bones, what felt like growing pains earlier in the year. I've also been having night sweats once or twice a week, if that's helpful. I have a few more weeks if ferrous sulfate, as I said been on it for a little over a month. My question is this: do these symptoms align with how I should be feeling a month into the iron and b12? Should I go back to my doctor?
Any comments are appreciated, thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
snowbell60
(female)

snowbell60 HB User
Re: anemiaand pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhill View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a 22 yo female who has been feeling lousy since about Dec. 2012 with fatigue, low grade fevers and what feels like growing pains. Went to the doc ifJan 2013 and was diagnosed with a low grade depression (recently lost several family members ) and after a blood test was told I wasn't anemic. In Feb I still felt awful all the time so I went to my father's doctor who ran blood tests and that doctor diagnosed me with iron deficient and pernicious anemia, which would explain my fatigue. I've been on b12 and ferrous sulfate for a month and my energy has gotten a smidge better, however physically I'm feeling worse. Sore throats for two weeks at a time, low grade fevers, dizziness and lightheadedness, flu like aches and pains in my joints and what feels like my bones, what felt like growing pains earlier in the year. I've also been having night sweats once or twice a week, if that's helpful. I have a few more weeks if ferrous sulfate, as I said been on it for a little over a month. My question is this: do these symptoms align with how I should be feeling a month into the iron and b12? Should I go back to my doctor?
Any comments are appreciated, thank you in advance
I have a ferritin of 8 and have been taking iron pill for a month. I feel slightly better but not a whole lot. I have a lot of symptoms that you do like dizziness, lightheadedness, aches and pain My doctor wants to check in another two weeks if the levels have gone up at all.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
hhill
(female)

hhill HB User

Nice to meet you snowbell, and now I know I'm not the only one! If you don't mind i would love to hear what your doctor says about your condition, especially your pain. I don't have another visit with my doctor about all this anemia business, so I think ill give it a couple weeks myself and if I'm still feeling so bad (and its truly affecting my day to day life at this point) then ill make another appt. Thanks for your reply, and hope you feel better soon!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
msnova74
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

I have pernicious anemia from birth. The issue with PN is that you lack the enzyme required to absorb B12.

You would need to either take the injectable or sublingual version.

but to answer your question yes they all can be symptoms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T

Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
snowbell60
(female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhill View Post
Nice to meet you snowbell, and now I know I'm not the only one! If you don't mind i would love to hear what your doctor says about your condition, especially your pain. I don't have another visit with my doctor about all this anemia business, so I think ill give it a couple weeks myself and if I'm still feeling so bad (and its truly affecting my day to day life at this point) then ill make another appt. Thanks for your reply, and hope you feel better soon!

hhill - What do you lab results look like for Iron ? My ferritin is quite low - 8 but my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. I was struggling with fatigue but recently lost my father. It's been worst after that. I've had days where I felt I wouldn't get through. I am thinking of going to another doctor who might take my fatigue more seriously.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Cymrygirl
(female)

Cymrygirl HB User
Re: anemia and pain

I take both iron and B-12 shots for my anemia, with which I was diagnosed in September/October. Sometimes I get aches like you describe -- not so much in my joints, but it feels like a true bone-tired feeling. I feel the aches especially in my forearms, but also in my legs and sometimes my feet and fingers. My skin sometimes feels like it's radiating heat, but it is normal to the touch. My skin can also feel very sensitive, almost like sunburn-sensitive, but it looks normal. I usually get these sensations and aches when I am very tired, like if I've had a really stressful day. In fact, before I was diagnosed with anemia, I thought the aches, heat sensation and skin sensitivity were just my body's responses to stress, like getting a stress headache at or near the end of the day when one's body starts to decompress after leaving work. Some days I would (and still do, to a lesser degree) come home and go directly to bed after a hot bath, which helped somewhat with the aches, as did taking ibuprofen for the pain.

I think I realized that something was VERY wrong the first day of school (I teach Pre-K). The night before, we had had Open House, and I had come home that night very tired and achy. I went to bed, slept well, but still woke up achy and with a headache. I struggled through the morning, trying my best to stay alert for my new Pre-K'ers, many of whom had never before been in an organized educational setting. Between dealing with the students and trying to get them to all the right destinations on the first day (teaching them how to walk in line down the hall, teaching them how to go through the lunch line, making absolutely certain of their busing situations for that afternoon, etc.), I did not get to eat lunch. By rest time, I was achy, headachy, and weak. I had to lie down before I collapsed. I honestly thought it was possible that something serious might happen to me. However, being the "carry on" person that I am, I was able to rest a bit during Rest Time and I was able to rally somewhat for bus duty after school. I didn't want to disrupt the first day by being the ONE person to go home sick on the first day, plus I wanted to make certain my little charges made it home safely. Looking back on it, I see that I might have truly been in a dangerous health situation and if I had known that it might be serious anemia instead of just the stress and fatigue of starting back to school, I might have alerted my principal or assistant principal to my situation. However, I am typically not one to "complain" or make much to co-workers of my health situations. As I said, I'm usually very much a "carry on" type of person. Even so, after school that day, I came home, went directly to bed, slept all night (thank goodness the next day was Saturday) and woke up STILL significantly tired and achy. The next time I went to the doctor, he ordered blood work, and he asked if there was anything in particular I wanted to test for. Without really thinking, I said, "Well, I've always wondered if my iron was a little low." And so began my experience with anemia. A month or so after the anemia diagnosis, I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's, which is autoimmune hypothyroid. Seems the two tend to go hand-in-hand, and many of the symptoms for the two are similar.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
hhill
(female)

hhill HB User
Re: anemia and pain

@snowbell, my hematocrit was 30% and my iron was a 6 i believe.

@msnova, Im taking sublingual b12 for the pn, thank you for your response!

@cymrygirl, wow what a story. I was tested for hasimotos and some thyroid issues but all was normal. As for the symptoms you described I can relate 100%. There are times where I feel like I'm just going to pass out or give in to nausea. And the pain I'm experiencing is exactly what I would call bone deep. It starts off feeling like a dull growing pain, most of the time in my forearms, fingers, femurs or hips, and most of the time is accompanied by low grade fevers and flu like chills. I have good days and bad days.

Closed Thread

Tags
anemia, b12, iron, pain