It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Need help with Lab results...please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User
    Need help with Lab results...please

Here are my lab results from about 1.5 months ago. My Ferritin is 8 but Haemoglobin is still ok. The doctor has asked me to take just a multivitamin with Iron. She doesn't think I am too low in Iron. I have been taking a multivitamin but recently started taking Slow Iron instead since the other one was upsetting my stomach. I asked her to recheck Ferritin but she doesn't want to since it's only been 6 weeks. Should I see another doctor because I still feel pretty tired and I don't think she is paying attention to how much Iron I need.

WBC 7.3 4.0 - 11.0 k/ul
    RBC 4.52 4.0 - 5.2 M/ul
    HGB 12.3 12.0 - 16.0 g/dl
    HCT 38.3 36.0 - 46.0 %
    MCV 84.7 80 - 100 fl
    MCH 27.2 26 - 34 pg
    MCHC 32.1 32 - 36 g/dl
    RDW 13.1 11.5 - 14.5 %
    PLTS 219 150 - 450 k/ul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Need help with Lab results...please

Yes seeing another doctor sounds like a good idea. You also need the full iron lab. Serum iron, saturation, ferritin to really see what is going on.

You can have a good hemoglobin but still be low on iron. My hemoglobin is a little over the range, but iron is 68, saturation is only 19%(should be 35), ferritin is 47(this can go up much higher).

There should be changes in 6 weeks for sure. I think you should get what you ask for since it is your body and you or your insurance is paying for it.

I tell my NP what I want and she does not refuse me.

Last edited by Lady50; 04-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lady50 View Post
    Yes seeing another doctor sounds like a good idea. You also need the full iron lab. Serum iron, saturation, ferritin to really see what is going on.

You can have a good hemoglobin but still be low on iron. My hemoglobin is a little over the range, but iron is 68, saturation is only 19%(should be 35), ferritin is 47(this can go up much higher).

There should be changes in 6 weeks for sure. I think you should get what you ask for since it is your body and you or your insurance is paying for it.

I tell my NP what I want and she does not refuse me.
    Thanks so much ! I am going to look for another doctor

Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
    Sugar Pie
    (female)

Sugar Pie HB User

Your labs look almost identical to mine except I didn't get a ferritin reading at my doctor. My saturation was low and my NP told me to take a multi-vitamin with iron too. I felt awful tired and weak too. I started taking ferrous sulfate (constipating) then moved on to gentle iron which made constipation a non-issue. But I still wasn't feeling much better. BTW I was eating mostly vegetarian. This was about 6 weeks ago. I believe my iron is low due to heavy periods and playing around with different birth control which made me have more bleeding than normal.

Anywhoo - I started taking a heme iron supplement (feosol bifera) which you can get over the counter. I have been taking 1 per day for about 3 solid weeks and can't believe how much better I feel plus no constipation either! I have read that heme iron absorbs in your body no matter what you eat with it (caffeine, fiber, etc). The only thing that counteracts heme iron is calcium. So I have been taking this and avoiding milk or calcium products whenever I take one and I can really tell a difference.

In answering your question - I would try taking a heme iron tablet with your meals that don't contain calcium and see how you feel in 6 weeks. If you don't feel better after 6 weeks then you could ask your doctor for another test. I think if they told you to take a multi-vitamin with iron that one bifera tablet per day for 6 weeks shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sugar Pie View Post
    Your labs look almost identical to mine except I didn't get a ferritin reading at my doctor. My saturation was low and my NP told me to take a multi-vitamin with iron too. I felt awful tired and weak too. I started taking ferrous sulfate (constipating) then moved on to gentle iron which made constipation a non-issue. But I still wasn't feeling much better. BTW I was eating mostly vegetarian. This was about 6 weeks ago. I believe my iron is low due to heavy periods and playing around with different birth control which made me have more bleeding than normal.

Anywhoo - I started taking a heme iron supplement (feosol bifera) which you can get over the counter. I have been taking 1 per day for about 3 solid weeks and can't believe how much better I feel plus no constipation either! I have read that heme iron absorbs in your body no matter what you eat with it (caffeine, fiber, etc). The only thing that counteracts heme iron is calcium. So I have been taking this and avoiding milk or calcium products whenever I take one and I can really tell a difference.

In answering your question - I would try taking a heme iron tablet with your meals that don't contain calcium and see how you feel in 6 weeks. If you don't feel better after 6 weeks then you could ask your doctor for another test. I think if they told you to take a multi-vitamin with iron that one bifera tablet per day for 6 weeks shouldn't hurt anything.
    Thanks so much. I actually just started taking Slow Iron which has 45 mg of Iron. It is almost 2.5 more times than a multivitamin. I don't get any side effects from it and it actually is helping me I think. The multivitamin and Gentle Iron weren't doing much for me. I wanted to get the labs done again because I am scared of overdoing the Iron. My doesn't want to check for another month or so though. I am a vegetarian and not too fond of Spinach so I guess I don't get much Iron from my diet.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, ferritin, haemoglobin, iron