It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• my anemia is never getting better?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
    abclittle
    (female)

abclittle HB User
    my anemia is never getting better?

i have severe anemia and im a teen.
    i had 2 weeks off school since it was adviced because my anemia has been so so bad! the doctor told me i had severe anemia and thought i had Lupus (since i have ALL signs of it) but the tests came back negative...
    anyway,i am taking SO much iron a day(prescribed by doctor) but im still not getting better and my doctor said it should be now i should be feeling better but i feel worse if anything and have more side effects of anemia AND lupus?
    i feel like it is never getting better!!! and its ruining my life!!!!
    Has anyone else had to wait a long time for it too start to make you feel better????-i go on holiday in like a week and i wont be able to do anything now

Last edited by mod85; 05-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
    attochoke111
    (female)

attochoke111 HB User
    Re: my anemia is never getting better?

Hi, how long have you been on the medication? I have been on ferrous fumurate for 10 days and have had to reluctantly sign myself off work as I feel so bad. I haven't started to feel better and now I have my period which makes it worse! I can't do anything, it's horrible. The worst symptom is feeling so nauseas and dizzy. I can't walk too far without spinning out and the iron gives me diarrhoea. When will we both feel better? Need a glimmer of hope as I'm getting very depressed as before being diagnosed with low ferritin I had a really bad chest infection and pleurisy. So since 18 Feb I've felt constantly awful apart from about a week where I felt ok. Can anyone give us an idea? My level is 11 and I'm going to be on 3 months of tablets.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is important to determine what kind of anemia you have. It could be from something other than iron deficiency. Did your Dr measure your iron, ferritin, Vit B12 and folate levels? Do you have a CBC report you can post> Be sure to include the MCV, MCHC, and MCH along with the HCT, HB, and WBC and neutrophils/lymphocytes. Do you have blood in urine or extremely heavy periods? You may need to see a hematologist to get this figured out. Lupus can cause a hemolytic anemia, where RBCs are destroyed by antibodies. This can be measured by a Coombs test on blood and reticulocyte count. Early in lupus, the ANA may be negative. I would ask your Dr to check these other tests to find out why you are so anemic and not responding to iron, or refer you to a hematologist. Any possibility of celiac disease (gluten intolerance/small bowel disease)?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

If you are going to respond to iron, your blood count should at least improve by 2-3 points on HCT in a month, but it takes a few months to restore iron stores in liver after your count comes up to normal. If no response to iron, something else is going on- either not an iron issue, poor absorption, destruction of RBCs faster than they can be formed, Vit B12 or folate deficiency, hereditary type anemia, etc. Anemia is not a simple, cut and dried problem. It is a symptom of an underlying problem, which must be identified before treatment will be effective.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
    attochoke111
    (female)

attochoke111 HB User

The only issue in my case is heavy periods, although I have only been treated for Anaemia twice, now and 12 years ago. I am worried as back then I wasn't working and so was able to do what I could and recover. However, now I am working which adds a lot of stress and my boss doesn't seem to get that it may take a long time to rectify. I think I may have fibroids, which I am going to go back to my doctor about. Can fighting off a heavy virus/infection see your ferritin levels plummet? As both times I have been diagnosed I have gotten over a bad case of flu (the first time) and a chest infection this time. I don't usually get flu or even colds, I'm normally quite healthy, but I seem to have been floored by it all. Even though my ferritin is low my doctor says I may be experiencing post viral fatigue too. It's definitely not an exact science. My employer is sending me to Bupa (private healthcare) to get a written report on my condition. Hopefully they will sign me off as I find my symptoms are quite erratic. Worse in the morning, better in the afternoon/evening, but sometimes I have a better day, then days like today where I feel like death, not even warmed up!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
    attochoke111
    (female)

attochoke111 HB User

Basically I can't function at work as I am so dizzy tired and nauseated that I am useless. I supervise a busy booking office which is fast paced. I just can't keep up at the moment and feel I'm letting everyone down. I find physical and mental duties both very challenging. I'm getting quite depressed and scared for my job.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Normally viruses and flus don't cause anemia or ferritins to go down. It is probably the heavy periods causing it. A visit to the GYN would be a good idea. Maybe the heavy bleeding can get taken care of and your anemia will improve.

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, iron deficiency, lupus