It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Spatone AND ferrous fumarate??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
    Kaymarina
    (female)

Kaymarina HB User
    Spatone AND ferrous fumarate??

Hi .. I wondered if anyone knows if its ok to take spatone and ferrous fumarate 3 times a day?? My ferritin is 2 and my gp says that I really need to get as much iron in me as possible. But I just wanted your advice as a lot of you seem so much more knowledgeable about anemia than my gp. Thank you xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
    Lady50
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
    Re: Spatone AND ferrous fumarate??

What I have learned is that if your TIBC is low, you cannot tolerate a lot of iron. If it is high then you can take 150 to 200mgs of elemental iron per day.

proper test are serum iron, TIBC, iron saturation and ferritin

Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
    Sions
    (female)

Sions HB User
    Smile Re: Spatone AND ferrous fumarate??

Hi Kaymarina,

I know it's been a while since you posted but I'm in the exact same position as you - ferritin of 2 (I was told I was very slightly anaemic 12 months ago, and after the initial ferrous fumarate prescription I was re-tested and told I was ok...anyway feeling like death warmed up again I eventually decided to see the GP again, got a rushed blood test and ferritin result came back as 2....been on ferrous fumarate for nearly a month now along with anything between 1 - 3 sachets of Spatone and copious amounts of heme iron - feeling like a different person but still tire out easily, anyway I found out yesterday that a year ago my ferritin was tested and was 3 (I wasn't told this at the time) upon re testing....ferritin wasn't even tested!!

I'm due for a blood test on the 28th of this month now - but how are you getting on with your ferritin levels? I do hope you're feeling better by now and not having problems with the iron tablets as I hear a lot of other people do.

I wish you all the best and it would be great to hear from you / compare symptoms as I've been having flashes and visual disturbances for about two years and opticians say my eyes are fine ...I've found that there is a link to anaemia but haven't heard many people mentioning it.

All the best and bye for now,

Sions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaymarina View Post
    Hi .. I wondered if anyone knows if its ok to take spatone and ferrous fumarate 3 times a day?? My ferritin is 2 and my gp says that I really need to get as much iron in me as possible. But I just wanted your advice as a lot of you seem so much more knowledgeable about anemia than my gp. Thank you xx

Old 10-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
    Kaymarina
    (female)

Kaymarina HB User

Hi Sions, my ferritin level is now about 24 iI took ferrous fumerate religiously for 3 months and my hb level rectified to 14 as well however I now have gastritis apparently the iron has irritated my stomach! I can't take the iron now as I have such pain all the time. I have a major flare up today and really feel awful! I was tested for an ulcer but that has come back clear. I feel so fed up with it all. I am still bleeding heavily and have
    to have a lapsocopy . Hope I don't go back to square 1 with my anemia. Yes vision problems are linked to anemia for sure xxx

Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
    Sions
    (female)

Sions HB User

There's just no winning is there, I've already been diagnosed with a stomach ulcer a fair while back and have been taking lansoprazole when taking painkillers for period pain....the mefenamic acid I was given for the period pain is what caused the ulcer so now I'm trying not to take the lansoprazole because that stops the iron being absorbed (from my own web research). Thing is I saw the doc and had the blood tests then I was phoned and told the tablets were waiting for me and that I didn't need to see the GP...How are you ever meant to understand what's happening if no one will take the time to explain. Once my blood results are in this time I'll make an appointment and go in to discuss it - this is just ridiculous.

Are you able to take something like the Spatone which is much gentler on the system or is that an impossibility too?

It seems that as soon as you get one thing in order something else flares up .

When are you having the procedure?

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,
    Sions x

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaymarina View Post
    Hi Sions, my ferritin level is now about 24 iI took ferrous fumerate religiously for 3 months and my hb level rectified to 14 as well however I now have gastritis apparently the iron has irritated my stomach! I can't take the iron now as I have such pain all the time. I have a major flare up today and really feel awful! I was tested for an ulcer but that has come back clear. I feel so fed up with it all. I am still bleeding heavily and have
    to have a lapsocopy . Hope I don't go back to square 1 with my anemia. Yes vision problems are linked to anemia for sure xxx

Old 10-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
    Kaymarina
    (female)

Kaymarina HB User

Thank you Sions, I'm not sure when I will have the procedure as I have been booked in to have a hystoscopy initially to remove a polyp and to investigate but they want to do this without anaesthetic and after having a really painful biopsy done this way I've decided to opt for laparoscopy with general anaesthetic as I am so scared, I have to tell them this is my preference and wait for a date. . To be honest I'm doubled up with pain in my stomach and don't want to risk even spatone at this stage. I also have chronic migraine that causes constant dizziness! Do you know I'm just so sick of being sick! All i want to do is enjoy life again and stop moaning! But at the moment it seems unachievable. Sions I was also put on lansprazole for my stomach but as you say it limits absorption of iron ....why oh why can't doctors treat us as WHOLE bodies rather than not considering the impact of treating symptoms and conditions separately! I so feel for you and we seem to be challenged by similar ailments at the moment. I hope you feel a lot better soon. I am always here to moan at if you need support.

Tae care Kay xxxx

Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
    Kaymarina
    (female)

Kaymarina HB User

Oh actually Sions I was also taking tranxemic acid for heavy periods you have me thinking now whether it was those that started my stomach problems and maybe not the iron??

Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
    Sions
    (female)

Sions HB User

Well Since I stopped taking mefenamic I took the lansoprazole and ibuprofen (was prescribed 400mg ones) still irritated the ulcer I was told to take 60mg lansoprazole when taking the painkillers.

Having started on the 'FerroMate' 210 x 3 a day and the Spatone I tried to go through a period with no painkillers (thinking ok – higher iron = less pain)- it was very difficult / painful but I managed it and my stomach is much better than it has been for a while apart from the occasional shooting pain through to the back from the (I presume) iron irritating the ulcer...I took the iron with orange juice or dissolvable vitamin C separately to meals at first to improve the absorption but now I'm taking them around meal times to be a bit kinder on the old tum.

I know that the mefenamic set my stomach off and as you say it might well be the tranexamic acid that set you off.

I hope you get your health sorted out soon as I totally agree it’s no joke suffering for a long time you just slowly lose yourself in the whole thing.

Just as a note I’ve previously been told I have Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome….which after years of being told various things and not really knowing what’s going on I don’t know if I do or if it was the low ferritin all along – as I say hopefully I’ll get some more information at the end of this / beginning of next month.

Take care x

Last edited by moderator2; 10-10-2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: please do not copy from websites

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
    Sions
    (female)

Sions HB User

Hi again Kay,

How are you doing by now? I hope there's less suffering going on, did you get any sense?
    As an update, I was retested for ferritin levels after the initial iron course and thankfully up to 11 - doc isn't happy though and blood was taken for Coeliac test yesterday, she wants me to have a camera down to the small bowel and biopsies done (here's hoping she changes her mind). Just wait now I suppose.

((hugs))

Take care and chin up,

Sions x

Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
    Sions
    (female)

Sions HB User

Hi again Kay,

How are you doing by now? I hope there's less suffering going on, did you get any sense?
    As an update, I was retested for ferritin levels after the initial iron course and thankfully up to 11 - doc isn't happy though and blood was taken for Coeliac test yesterday, she wants me to have a camera down to the small bowel and biopsies done (here's hoping she changes her mind). Just wait now I suppose.

((hugs))

Take care and chin up,

Sions x

Closed Thread