It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• So frustrated please help? Low ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
    cranbearry
    (female)

cranbearry HB User
    So frustrated please help? Low ferritin

Hi everyone, I am new to this site but have lingered here long enough to want to post my own issues. I believe that my low ferritin is causing me to have an array of symptoms. Such as joint/muscle pain, shortness of breath, feeling extremely cold ALL THE TIME - sometimes my nails even turn blue. (my boyfriend complains that i have cold feet and hands all the time) I have problems with my memory and concentrating.. fatigued all the time and lastly my hair! Oh my gosh, my hair has been falling out for months. in clumps. i can see scalp, i even have bald spots. I have been complaining about this for months also. In September the doctor told me to take iron pills 3 times a day to raise my ferritin. - she claims that everything else is fine. It is now December and nothing has changed except now i have started my periods which is making the whole thing worse!! (I have PCOS so my periods are irregular, when i do have them they are very heavy.) Anyways, i have gone through two bottles of 25mg iron pills and asked the doctor for another blood test to see if i should take more iron. These are my results

October 11th 2013;
    iron - 66
    iron binding capacity, unsaturated - 339
    total iron binding capacity - 273
    transferin % saturation - 19
    Ferritin -19

December 2nd 2013;
    Iron - 124
    Iron binding capacity, unsaturated - 212
    total iron binding capacity - 336
    transferrin % saturation - 37
    Ferritin - 16

* SO YOU CAN SEE THAT MY FERRITIN ACTUALLY WENT DOWN WITH A HEAVY IRON DIET AND IRON PILLS ! Though my doctor thinks that a normal level is 20-300. I think it needs to be way higher.

and the last time i had CBC was September 27th 2013
    WBC COUNT - 7
    red blood cells - 4.32
    hgb - 13.4
    hematocrit - 39.3
    mcv - 91
    rdw,rbc - 13
    platelets - 202

So yeah, she told me to continue to eat an iron heavy diet, which i do.. and to take iron. I am so sick of everything. I told her that i wanted an iron infusion and she said they were dangerous, that i'm not even anemic and that i should see psych for depression. I said, yes i am depressed because no one will listen to me !!! she thinks that all of my symptoms are from stress and depression. the end conclusion was that she told me to continue with the iron and we will test again in 3 months. She said ferritin takes a long time to restore. (i know!!! which is why i want an iron infusion ) I feel that i will never get my levels up because of my period so its always one step forward two steps back ..and when you live daily with these symptoms.. man i just can't take it!

What do you guys think? How can i make her understand that i am serious about this. Should i ask for another CBC since its been a few months? at this point i know my doctor is fed up with me.

I know that i could take BC for my period but i really dont want to. I think its crap for your body. Just like the iron pills.. though i take those anyway because i'm desperate.

Sorry for ranting and yelling in all caps. I'm just very frustrated /:

* I forgot to say that my nails are weak, brittle, and rigid.

Last edited by cranbearry; 12-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
    kjm44
    (female)

kjm44 HB User
    Re: So frustrated please help? Low ferritin

I'm SO sorry your doctor is making you feel like this! Just remember that doctors go by normal ranges provided by labs. These ranges are typical, but don't work for everyone, such as yourself. Did you get a FULL thyroid panel, not just TSH? If not, I would recommend it. I just saw a posting that talked about a woman that was put on antidepressants for an entire year before her doctor figured out that she had hypothyroidism. Her TSH was normal, but one of the numbers were off on the thyroid panel. She was taken off the antidepressants and put on Syntheroid (sp?) and is back on track.

I am in a similar position because my doctor is telling me that my laundry list of symptoms (see below) is unfounded because my entire CBC and other tests are normal (cardiologist/colonoscopy/xrays/ultrasound/etc), but my Ferritin is a "3" and HGB is 11.6. She doesn't think my levels are low and told me to take iron when I'm on my period! She clearly doesn't know a thing about ferritin and the consequences of low ferritin. I made a appointment with a hematologist and not by her recommendation. She is pretty "green" (hasn't been practicing long) and has alot to learn! Time to find a new doctor!

Symptoms:
    shortness of breath
    chest pain
    extremem fatigue
    dizziness
    leg cramps and restless legs when lying down
    cold hands and feet with blueish tinted toes
    weakness/no stamina
    headaches
    I have tons of hair, but am losing a bunch

Good luck to you!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
    hayley s
    (female)

hayley s HB User

Hi, I too have recently been diagnosed with low ferritin and am on medication for it now, I just wondered if either of you two have been so fatigued your almost house bound? Because atm I am, I had to quit my job and my course because I just didn't have the energy or strength to do anything.
    My hair, skin and nails are all perfectly fine I just have heavy arms and legs and am not able to walk very far when i leave the house, it seems to get harder the further I walk.
    Anyway I wish you better x

Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
    kalouise
    (female)

kalouise HB User

kjm44,
    sorry but your doc sucks. That ferritin level is WAY too low. I am sure you went to a hematologist and they prob set you straight. My ferritin was 15 and I felt like death, still do and its in the 20s. Everyone has a level that is optimal for them. We aren't robots, and labs should support clinical dx not BE the dx! Doctors need to do their homework on nutrition and the importance of this life sustaining mineral!

Closed Thread

Tags
    ferritin, frustrated, iron