It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron Supplements and Tummy Troubles?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
    Tweeters
    (female)

Tweeters HB User
    Iron Supplements and Tummy Troubles?

I was diagnosed with Anemia at the end of October and have been taking (under doctor's direction) between 300 and 600 mg of Ferrous Sulphate per day. My tummy/bowels seem to be very irritated. Of course, I'm bunged up and have to take Metamucil every day but I also have his nagging bubble-like feeling on my left side - under my rib cage. What is that?? I also feel like I have hunger pangs quite a bit of the time - even though I have just eaten.

Has anyone experienced this with taking iron supplements? I stopped taking them because I want to give my gut a rest. I also have IBS so I'm sure this has not helped. I go for my next blood test on January 7th.

Last edited by Tweeters; 12-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
    snowbell60
    (female)

snowbell60 HB User
    Re: Iron Supplements and Tummy Troubles?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tweeters View Post
    I was diagnosed with Anemia at the end of October and have been taking (under doctor's direction) between 300 and 600 mg of Ferrous Sulphate per day. My tummy/bowels seem to be very irritated. Of course, I'm bunged up and have to take Metamucil every day but I also have his nagging bubble-like feeling on my left side - under my rib cage. What is that?? I also feel like I have hunger pangs quite a bit of the time - even though I have just eaten.

Has anyone experienced this with taking iron supplements? I stopped taking them because I want to give my gut a rest. I also have IBS so I'm sure this has not helped. I go for my next blood test on January 7th.
    I get those too. I get bloated instantly after taking iron tablets. Liquid Iron helps a bit and is easier on the stomach. Have you found one that is better on your stomach yet ?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    Maybe try a probiotic to help with the constipation - I wish I would have done that sooner! Last year I had to go through three rounds of iron IV infusions and then was prescribed iron supplements. I should probably go back to see how well my body absorbs it, but in haven't. Those iron pills really stopped me up, so I kind of slacked off taking them. Now that I found the probiotic, I'm going to get back to taking my 2 tablets/day and hopefully get back to normal.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
    k742
    (female)

I was just reading about something called Hema-Plex that had really great reviews on all the online shops. It has a lower dose of iron, as well as B12, folic acid, vit C, and...some other vitamins in it. There is also a gentle iron from various brands (Vitamin Shoppe, Solgar, Natures Way, etc) that a lot of people seem to have better luck with.

The Following User Says Thank You to k742 For This Useful Post:
    Deer Haven (04-23-2014)
    Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Re: Iron Supplements and Tummy Troubles?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k742 View Post
    I was just reading about something called Hema-Plex that had really great reviews on all the online shops. It has a lower dose of iron, as well as B12, folic acid, vit C, and...some other vitamins in it. There is also a gentle iron from various brands (Vitamin Shoppe, Solgar, Natures Way, etc) that a lot of people seem to have better luck with.
    I have tummy troubles also but not constipated. I am looking into switching to hema-plex. Is it a large pill? I have issues swollowing large pills. I take nature way now.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
    k742
    (female)

A few of the reviews said the only downside was the pill was on the large side. I tried to peek inside of the box, but couldn't get it open to see for myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to k742 For This Useful Post:
    worrywort (04-30-2014)
    Closed Thread