It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Is this Iron Deficiency Anemia? GYN says no

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
    azajewel
    (female)

azajewel HB User
    Is this Iron Deficiency Anemia? GYN says no

Hi, I'm new to this board. I'd appreciate any feedback on my labs. These were done during a regular physical exam and my regular dr. said I was definitely anemic, but she never did do an iron panel. After thinking back on my symptoms, I had several..headaches, tinnitus, fatigue, rapid heartrate with exertion, and shortness of breath with exertion. Three weeks ago I was started on iron supplements. Here are my abnormals or near low normals from 3 weeks ago:

RBC 5.45 (4.00-5.36)
    Hgb 12.5 (12-16)
    MCV 74 (81-98)
    MCHC 30.9 (31.2-35.2)
    RDW 24.2 (11.0-14.5)
    anisocytosis present
    hypchromasia present
    ovalocytes present

She determined that my anemia was due to menorrhagia and I then made an appt. with a GYN.

The GYN looked at these labs and said this is NOT anemia. She then ordered an iron panel, which she said was normal:

Iron 142
    TIBC 356
    Ferritin 14

She called today and again said this is not anemia, but some other blood issue must be going on. She mentioned thalassemia and suggested that my regular dr. refer me to a hematologist. I am so frustrated and confused. I can't see my regular dr. until Mon. but I'm thinking it's still anemia?? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
    azajewel
    (female)

azajewel HB User
    Re: Is this Iron Deficiency Anemia? GYN says no

Saw the dr. Mon. and she said this is without a doubt iron def. anemia. Apparently ferritin that is below 50 can make you feel really bad. Optimal levels should be between 50-100. Thought I'd update for those that may have similar labs. I'm now taking ferrous sulfate 325 mg twice daily with vitamin c supplements. Found out recently that Goji berries have more iron than red meat. I bought a Nutribullet and have been making spinach, pumpkin seed, banana, and Goji berry shakes...not bad at all!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
    jlkcoop
    (female)

jlkcoop HB User

Well the nice thing about this board is to hear from others and not much of that is going on. Ferritin of 14 is low. Sometimes oral iron can bring it up and sometimes it won't. It can be a lengthy process.
    How long are you going to try the oral iron before you test you levels again?
    Those shakes sound very good.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
    azajewel
    (female)

azajewel HB User

I agree! I'm going to be tested again in April. Did you have low ferritin as well? What are you doing to raise your iron?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
    jlkcoop
    (female)

jlkcoop HB User

I had ferritin of 2. I tried oral iron and it really bothered my stomach. I had 5 iron infusions and it has helped but I don't feel well still. My last blood test I had hgb was better it was 13 up from 8.7 and hmtc was 37 up from 23. But the doctor didn't have my ferritin levels yet.
    I think I might be in the same boat as many others. If hgb levels go up the docs don't really care about ferritin levels. I told my hematologist that I didn't feel well that I was still very tired and I had restless legs, cold all of the time and she just said that could be many things.
    A little frustrating. I did get my ferritins up to 13 but that was after the infusions.

Closed Thread