It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Could someone please help me? Numbers...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
    gemleigh
    (female)

gemleigh HB User
    Could someone please help me? Numbers...

Basically I got lab work done because I suspected I was anemic. I have my periods for months at a time and then they just go away. And especially when I'm on my period I feel weak and dizzy and like I may pass out in the shower. Lately I feel tired all the time and my legs hurt all the time.

My lab work read as follows:

Hemoglobin 12.1

Hematocrit 38.1

Iron serum 26

Iron saturation 7% (this one had an alert on it)

Ferritin 39

Transferrin 330

Because of the alert I made an urgent appointment with a doctor and apparently the testing lab cared more than he did because he said once I was not anemic and then said I was barely anemic. But then probably just to cover his own butt put me on 325 mg of iron a day.

I am so confused, do I need the iron if I'm "barely anemic"?

Is it possible to have symptoms of anemia even with "normal" numbers? Except for the saturation.

So confusing...

Any insight would be great - I feel so done with doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
    k742
    (female)

k742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB Userk742 HB User
    How close to your period was your blood work done?

I had a similar iron saturation result -mine was 3 and the phone nurse actually laughed and wondered how I'd been functioning. Uh, probably because it had been do low for so long that I didn't know I felt bad! I was given the 325mg iron as well as having infusions. I would take the iron if I were you, but maybe opt for a lower dosage - the Gentle Iron is easier on your tummy. The 325mg can cause some serious constipation!

Good luck!!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
    gemleigh
    (female)

gemleigh HB User
    Re: Could someone please help me? Numbers...

Thanks. I actually had my period for 3 weeks straight when it was taken, now I'm at a month. This has happened before and at the six week mark last time I felt like death so the blood work was ordered.

I guess I was just confused because the Dr. acted like it wasn't a big deal and like he couldn't understand why I made an urgent appointment and it seemed like he then he gave me the "Rx" for iron just to get rid of me.

I knew it was hard on the tummy and that's why I don't want to take it unless I needed too.

Thanks for replying.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
    gemleigh
    (female)

gemleigh HB User
    Re: Could someone please help me? Numbers...

Thanks. I actually had my period for 3 weeks straight when it was taken, now I'm at a month. This has happened before and at the six week mark last time I felt like death so the blood work was ordered.

I guess I was just confused because the Dr. acted like it wasn't a big deal and like he couldn't understand why I made an urgent appointment and it seemed like he then he gave me the "Rx" for iron just to get rid of me.

I knew it was hard on the tummy and that's why I don't want to take it unless I needed too.

Thanks for replying.

Closed Thread