It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• New. IV Iron?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
    LoveStronger
    (female)

LoveStronger HB User
    New. IV Iron?

Hello. I'm new.
    I have a question.
    Last year I was anaemic with a low HB and everything else. I wasn't put on iron tablets for at least six months after I've got told I was anaemic. I was on 325mg dose of something three times a day. They gave me tummy side effects, so the doctor reduced the dosage to once a day. then after a week, I stopped taking them without the advice of my doctor. That was at least 14 - 18 months ago.

Two weeks ago, I saw my doctor about something unrelated. She said I didn't look too well and would like me to have a blood test. I agreed. I got the blood results last week and everything was in the normal range, including my HB. However, my ferritin was extremely low. She said dcotors like it to be between 20 - 500. Mine came back 12.

I was told by the lady who told me my blood results to make an appointment with my doctor to talk about my results.

I haven't made an appointment yet.

I'm scared. I DO NOT want to be put on iron tablets again. I hated them. I won't take them if they give them to me. I don't want to take them three times a day, everyday for six months. I barely managed to take my other medication everyday. I would rather have an IV iron infusion, at least that won't be everyday. Can you have an iron infusion with just low ferritin and normal HB to build up your iron stores?

I want to sort my iron stores out though, badly. The tiredness is stupid. I sleep for 12 hours and then within 2 hours, I'm ready to go back to bed again. I've got no energy and feel so urgh at the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
    free2bme143
    (female)

free2bme143 HB User
    Re: New. IV Iron?

Iron IV are dangers and can cause you to have a heart attach or stroke.
    An alternative to iron tabs is BLACK STAP MOLLASSES. You can find it at whole foods...for less than $5. I take a tablespoon by mouth 2x per day and chase it with orange juice because it is nasty!
    Tastes like black licorice. It is a nasty miracle though.... read up on it.... As an iron source it is easily absorbed and does not cause tummy problems.

It also gets rid of gray hair

Additionally, you are going to have to eat red meat and other food items that are high in iron content.

My ferritin was 14 now it is 92 but I did take the iron but the molasses helped with the stomach issues.

When my ferritin was 14, I would get up take a shower, put on make up and would be so exhausted I would have to go back to bed. I was so tired I couldn't work for 5 weeks.

Closed Thread