It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Ringing in Ears! Help! I'm scared of Iron

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
Summergirl1977
(female)

Summergirl1977 HB User
Ringing in Ears! Help! I'm scared of Iron

My ferritin was 8, I had only fatigue and brain fog symptoms. I started taking ferricon caps 110mg (1 a day) with OJ. I started to feel a little bit better, I had one good day then had to lay around the next. I thought things were going well then I had my period which was way lighter than normal (usually VERY heavy and lots of clots) After my period, I developed ringing in my ears. Its really scaring me. I thought maybe I was having a reaction to iron or somehow went into overload? I stopped taking iron and called my doc. She doesn't believe ferritin means anything so she just said stop taking iron and call me in a week.
In the meantime I can't sleep, the ringing is getting worse, my anxiety is through the roof. I read tinnitus is permanent. I can't handle the ringing much longer. Someone please tell me what I should do!!! I can't find a doc that will take me serious. I feel like this is related to the low ferritin and not the supplement but I'm really scared of over dosing especially since my doc doesn't care if I take supplement or not. HELP! I feel like i'm drowning in this ringing and I will go completely insane!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Chemgirl
(female)

Chemgirl HB User
Re: Ringing in Ears! Help! I'm scared of Iron

I think the tinnitus could be caused by low iron. I definitely have problems sleeping as well as anxiety when my iron is low. It also makes sense that symptoms are getting worse after your period. I find that I get weaker and have more symptoms the week before my period.

So take your iron! You won't overdose on 110 mg with a ferritin of 8. My doctor had me on 300 mg of elemental iron at one point and I didn't overdose. You don't absorb all of the iron you take. I know that my doctor considers a ferritin of 8 to be borderline anemic, even with normal hemoglobin. So get those numbers up!

If you are worried about side effects with your iron pill try a different type. There are many types available and everyone reacts differently. I couldn't take ferrous gluconate, or polysaccharide iron, so now I'm taking proferrin, a heme iron source. I am only taking 33 mg per day and I'm doing way better than I was on the 300 mg dose.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Denise76
(female)

Denise76 HB User

Your ferritin should range between 80-100! So having a ferritin as low as you do you need to be taking an iron supplement and it usually takes a year or longer to get your numbers up!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
kalouise
(female)

kalouise HB User

Tinnitus is not permanent when caused by deficiency! And you NEED to be taking iron. People lose blood through their gi tract and become anemic that way, and these are small amounts! So having even a light period when your ferritin is 8 can bring it down and make you feel worse! Iron can have side effects, but not tinnitus. It makes my feet and hands hot if I take too much, and I have GI issues with it, but I'll take that over my other symptoms any day, which are brain fog, dizziness, feeling disconnected and out of it, lethargy, fatigue, depression, anxiety, unrefreshing sleep, tremors, tingling, and basically feeling like death!
So please, take your iron. Since it takes a long time to get your numbers up, symptoms may pop up/get worse before you start to feel better. It is not an immediate effect at all, so be patient. It takes months to a year. just keep asking to get your ferritin check every few months to make sure your numbers are getting better. Good luck!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
kalouise
(female)

kalouise HB User

Also, Just to make you feel better, I had a similar experience last week. I had my period and the day after it finished went to the doc and she took 7 tubes of blood. The next day I felt like I was on my death bed. I got severe vertigo, was weak and felt heavy, could barely walk around the house and had a horrible headache. I buckled down and started taking my iron properly again and after almost 2 weeks, I do feel a difference. Its very slow and very frustrating, but I just have to trust it will get better.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
tydyandi
(female)

tydyandi HB User

If you haven't been back to the Dr. you need to go maybe emergency room. The ringing in your ears is your heart trying to pump the blood through your body as it is more than likely depleting. I was admitted into the hospital 3/2/2013 with a hemoglobin of 6.8 and within an hour I was down to 4.2. The Dr said I would have not made it through the night I more than likely I would have gone into cardiac arrest and i was dying fast.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
BAKUVI
(male)

BAKUVI HB User

I have normal hemoglobin with low MCV. My ferritin level for two months earlier was 30 which is too close to the lower limit of normal range now it has went up to 66. I also suffer from tinnitus for no known reason (doctors don't believe it can be anemia). I am a male so no periods and obvious blood loss. it can be GI tract related, though. can you describe the kind of sound that your tinnitus make. mine sounds like hissing.

Closed Thread

Tags
ringing ears