It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• So wiped out

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
    ZigZagD
    (female)

ZigZagD HB User
    So wiped out

Almost 2 weeks ago, I went for about a 1.5 mile hike with a long rest midway. I get very little excercise, and as the terrain had mild inclines, and I am out of shape and overweight anyways, I didn't think too much of it when I was lagging behind everyone else. However, on the way back I started to feel very light headed and out of breath, like I was going to pass out. I also had to move at a snails pace, as I felt as though I wasn't getting enough oxygen. When we finally arrived back at the car, my husband turned on the air conditioner, and after a few minutes, I started to get cold. I noticed in the mirror that my lips were very bluish, and my husband confirmed my observation. I was feeling very unwell, like I still wasn't getting enough oxygen, still light headed, and a little chest discomfort. It took us about 1hr 15 minutes to arrive home, and by that time, I was feeling a bit better, but still so exhausted I had to get in bed and stay until the next morning. It was 6:45 PM at that time. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before, and I called my doctor the next day to schedule an appointment, which I made for a week and a half away. During the next week, before my appointment, I ended up going to the emergency room twice with very similar symptoms. At both visits to the ER they did EKG's, Chest x-rays, blood clot tests (d-dimer) and blood work for anemia. All the tests came back normal except that my hemoglobin is 9.2-L, hematocrit is 30.7-L, MCV is 64.4-L, MCH is 19.3-L, MCHC is 30-L, and RDW is 17.2-H. They prescribed iron pills 325 Ferrous Sulfate 3x/day. I tried to take them, but they gave me terrible diarrhea, and I was feeling hot and flushed and my anxiety level was going through the roof. I settled on 1 per day, which my doctor said was fine, when I saw her at my appointment. She also instructed me to have an Echocardiogram, and a pelvic/transvag for heavy periods (which I do have). The pelvic came back normal, and I haven't had the echo yet. About 3 years ago, I did have a colonoscopy for bleeding, and the doctor did say she saw a "thickened" area, but a biopsy, and another colonoscopy 6 months later did not reveal anything. At that time, she told me to repeat the procedure in 5 years.

In addition, I have been feeling intermittently pretty tired for probably about 2 years now. And more recently, like the last few months, sometimes in the mornings on my way to work, I have had to struggle hard to stay awake. This is happening almost every morning now, and I'm miserable. During the day, my tiredness level is usually better. My question is this. Could simple anemia be the cause of my exhaustion, breathlessness and blue lips? If so, how long can I expect this to go on?

Thanks for reading! I know it's long winded.

Last edited by ZigZagD; 05-23-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread