It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• For those who have dizziness/balance issues..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
    oxibowi
    (female)

oxibowi HB User
    For those who have dizziness/balance issues..

Could you please describe to me what your dizziness/ off balance symptom feels like?
    I have been having a lot of dizzy spells for quite a while. Some feel like Im going to faint more of a lightheaded feeling while others feel like when you are in an elevator and it stops and your brain sometimes takes a second to catch up. These come and go and are not a constant thing throughout my day.

I was diagnosed with Iron deficiency anemia a month ago and have been taking iron since. Iron serum, iron saturation, ferritin level, MCV, MCH were very low and RDW high. The dr said to take 325mg Ferrous sulfate 3x a day but they make me nauseous so Im only able to take 2. Im a bit less tired but haven't felt much improvement regarding the dizziness yet but I understand is too soon to tell. However, it makes me anxious to think that it might not be related to the anemia and might be another issue causing them. I guess Im just looking for some peace of mind!

Last edited by oxibowi; 12-06-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Re: For those who have dizziness/balance issues..

My spells feels like I am rocking and sometimes spinning or as you described just feels like your brain need a second. Usually when it's brain related you have other symptoms,I just saw a neurologist about it actually. It's scary to feel,hang in there ��

Old 12-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
    oxibowi
    (female)

oxibowi HB User

Hi Carly, thanks for replying! how long have you been dealing with the dizziness and as your levels increased did they get better? two days ago I had them really bad through out the day after a long day putting christmas lights and it really made me panic. I was going to call my dr for a referral to an ent or neuro as I worried I might have some type of vertigo or tumor. Did your Neurologist said that it was caused by the anemia? Ive also been getting these awful headaches like a dull pressure which they make my head feel heavy until they clear.

Last edited by oxibowi; 12-07-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

My ferritin is 23 now and I have been dealing with this for over a year. I Need to get another hematologist because he doesn't connect the dizzy and hair loss to ferritin. I Hate when it happens in the shower �� it's awful. My neurologist said inner ear, I don't buy it. The ER doctor said it was the iron. Sometimes you justice have to be your own health advocate and demand stuff, it's exhausting

Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
    oxibowi
    (female)

oxibowi HB User

Ugh yes, it has happened while taking a shower and it's very upsetting.
    I'm only 27 and it's very frustrating to think that I might have to deal with this for who knows how long. I do feel that the more I stress about it the more the symptoms worsen so I'm sure having anxiety over it doesn't help one bit.

My dr has been pretty unhelpful when it comes to getting to the root of this, she says it's probably the iron but she also thinks it could be my sinus as I get a terrible pressure headache too. I was already given a 14 day course of augmentin for the alleged sinus infection and didn't help at all. Now she wants me to have a different antibiotic which I refused until I get a ct scan that shows any type of issue with my sinus. I feel doctors can be very irresponsible with treatment when they have no real evidence of an actual problem.

Do you by any chance have your wisdom teeth or have had any type of dental work done? I don't know if it's just a coincidence or my wishful thinking but I really started noticing the weird dizzy spells at the same time that my upper wisdom teeth started to erupt. It's partially impacted so it needs to be removed as well as the two bottom ones. My dentist said that wisdom teeth or any type of dental issue can cause pressure in a nerve that's in your jaw which causes dizziness, headaches and a lot other symptoms. I wonder if this is the root of all my problems

Old 12-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I Have had my wisdom teeth for years, I am 36. I Get aweful headaches but not due to my teeth... Yours could be realted but not sure about the dizziness. I get aweful anxiety from it and have to take care of my kids all while feeling off. I Am gonna try a different supplement. ��

Old 12-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
    FindRevelation
    (female)

FindRevelation HB User

I feel like I am on the elevator you know when it stops at a floor how it kind of bounces a little? Like that. Sometimes for HOURS.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
    Cristi667
    (female)

Cristi667 HB User

I too have the elevator feeling! Like it just lands and I feel a drop in the floor. I kept asking my co-worker if she felt it. I didnt know that it was related to my anemia until I started reading up on it. I am so freaking tired but my ferritin was too high for an infusion yet. However, its been 4 months since my last blood panel and my symptoms are returning including the "elevator" feeling.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
    oxibowi
    (female)

oxibowi HB User

Hey FindRevelation, thanks for your input sorry I hadn't replied before for some reason I wasn't getting the alerts on my email. How are you feeling now that it has been a couple of months?

Hi SponsaCristi, the elevator feeling is exactly the type of "dizzy" spells I had/have. I am happy to report that they have diminished considerably since my initial post, still have them just not as bad as before, I also learned that the more I focus on them the worse they seem to feel, so in my case anxiety also played a big role. Did your elevator feeling symptom improved at all before?

I am still taking iron supplements but I'm still mildly anemic just not as bad as before. My ferritin still is at the lower end of the scale even though my iron and iron stores have improved a lot more. What's your ferritin level? and what kind of supplements do you take?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
    Cristi667
    (female)

Cristi667 HB User

I dont take supplements at all because my body does not absorb iron from any diet source. I get Iron infusions and after I had those my dizzy feelings stopped as did my Restless Leg Syndrome. But guess whos back? Yup, both of them. Thats how I know my Ferritin is low again. I go in in May. My initial Ferritin was 9, it soared with the infusion to 207 I think. Last time I was checked a few months ago it was down to 69so its falling quite a bit. I feel so cruddy and can barely make it through my day of work. I just do nothing on the weekend. Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
    Brek
    (female)

Brek HB User

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Anemia. Well stupid me stopped taking my iron pill last summer because I got off my routine and thought I feel fine. Well in June of this year I started getting this foggy feeling. Well in August 11 I had a CBC and guess what was low my iron and my PCP said I was iron deficient anemic. So I started taking my iron pills with a Vta D pill on August 14th. I am still getting a dizziness/ vertigo feeling. I absolutely hate this feeling and kicking myself in the butt for doing it to myself, but it scares me because I wonder if it's due to a brain issue because it's not going away. But then my Dr. Said it could take several weeks to a few months for my iron to get back to normal. I just want this dizziness/ spinning room to stop now, but realize it's going to take a while. My dizziness starts a lot of times in the afternoon. I just hate the feeling I get and I also then worry about it which I think amplifies the dizziness that much more. I will never stop taking my iron again!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, dizzy, off balance