It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board

Brain Aneurysm - inherited through genes?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
Brain Aneurysm - inherited through genes?

Heya all, how are we?

This question has been floating around my mind these past couple of months so I thought why not ask? Do you know, or do you think, that brain aneurysm can be something inherited through your gene pool?

My grandmother suffered three grade 5 aneurysms burst on her brain (and still has two titanium coiled) back in 2001, we are very lucky to still have her. She is not without post aneurysm issues, but for the most part she is independent and happy (73yrs old now). Her sister passed away from brain aneurysm bursting back in the early 90's and the same sister's son has passed away just this Christmas gone from the same thing, only 44yrs old To me it seems like perhaps it could be passed on through genetics - I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Many thanks!
K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
kelly7703
(female)

kelly7703 HB User
Re: Brain Aneurysm - inherited through genes?

I do have a birth defect that can sometimes run in families that caused my cerebral hemorrhage. It has also caused a blood vessel in my left thigh, and right foot, years later, to also rupture. Grandma and I seem to be the only ones who have been verified with it. She had a series of eight CVA's all from hemorrhages. The medical term for it is " telengiectasias". It means our blood vessels do not pass each other neatly, but have tangles we were born with. The treatment for me (grandma is gone now) is keeping my blood pressure and stress down, avoiding any meds that can raise my blood pressure. I have been living with this "sword of damacles" hanging over my life since I was 32, I am now 59 and have just made my lifestyle and nutrition geared to protecting myself from me. (No boxed or pre-prepared foods to avoid bad for me, salts. Only using iodized salt if needed for flavor, and using fresh ingredients for meals, no sausage, deli meats, etc. My neurologist did a brain scan with contrast, and found so many telengiectasias in my head and neck, that he continued to scan down as far as my hips, and saw so many more that he told me it could happen again today, tomorrow, or never. The first incident (CVA with no surgery to repair) happened in 1990, the second (in left thigh) in 2005, last one (right foot) on 2016. I used to be kind of worried and even a little paranoid about it, but now I just make sure to live every day as if it were my last. No anger, no drama, no stress (Yoga helps with this part.). I am happier than I have ever been now that I greet each day with the thought -how can I make someone's day better? This is all I know about this problem, but my 'now' is much different than my old life due to brain damage, and I now have Epilepsy, but it is OK.

Last edited by kelly7703; 03-11-2017 at 05:05 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to kelly7703 For This Useful Post:
Dragonfly Wings (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Thank you so much for sharing, I really appreciate it!

Turns out I may have jinxed us as my own Dad turned 52 the start of last month and a couple of days later had a major brain aneurysm burst, luckily they were able to coil and stabilise another two "suspicious" looking aneurysms that were remaining, one also on the threat of rupture. He has come through it quite lucky and is home now with very few side effects. Of course he is not 100%, but he's perfect compared to what they expected his outcome to be with such a big bleed.

He is the same as you with needing to keep BP down and thin, a huge dietary restriction, no cigarettes or alcohol *which luckily weren't really an issue for him* and he did have to have anti seizure medicine for the first 3wks that he has just been able to come off of.

Our family has now been advised to be scanned and checked.

I wish you all the best and thank you again for helping me to understand how these things work!
DW.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-01-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
kelly7703
(female)

kelly7703 HB User

Have your self tested for a genetic defect called "Factor 5 Leiden" my sweety has it and that is why his family has always been disabled and or died young suddenly. It causes your blood to become sticky. Warfarin is the easy "cure" for it. It does not cause hemorrhages, but because the blood is sticky, it can form clots, which can cause vessels to enlarge and burst.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Hello

No I haven't been checked for that, but I will bring it up with my GP thank you for letting me know and for your wealth of information, I really appreciate it
Cheers!
DW.

Reply Reply