It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Aneurysm Message Board

Should I get a Second Opinion?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
bwinkler27
(female)

bwinkler27 HB User
Should I get a Second Opinion?

Hi everyone, about 4 years ago I was diagnosed with 2 cerebral aneurysms. The larger of the two was originally 4mm in the right cavernous carotid artery. The smaller was only 1mm and found in the right vertebral artery. After an angiogram my original neurosurgeon recommended watch and wait with yearly scans.

Due to having moving to a new state and having a baby, I am just now getting around to getting my MRI. The results showed that the 4mm had grown to 5mm but the smaller one couldnít even be picked up. I would likely need another angiogram to get a good look at it. My new doctor doesnít think the cavernous aneurysm has grown enough to warrant treatment. And he doesnít want to do an angiogram at this time. He advised me to get another MRI in 2 years and weíll see from there.

I am not 100% on board with this. For the last month I have been having awful, acute headaches behind my right eye extending into my temple. Iíve headaches on and off my whole life, but never like this. Iím worried that the aneurysm is becoming symptomatic and the doctor is dismissing my symptoms due to the general consensus that small aneurysms donít often show symptoms.

I would also feel more comfortable getting an angiogram to get the full picture. I know that MRIís can be off measuring aneurysms. Iíve read of people who think their aneurysm is one size but the angiogram reveals it to be much bigger.

I know the doctor is more knowledgeable than me and I want to trust his judgement. But Iím thinking maybe I should get a second opinion to be sure? Any advise and perspective would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
mmisty
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User
Re: Should I get a Second Opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinkler27 View Post
Hi everyone, about 4 years ago I was diagnosed with 2 cerebral aneurysms. The larger of the two was originally 4mm in the right cavernous carotid artery. The smaller was only 1mm and found in the right vertebral artery. After an angiogram my original neurosurgeon recommended watch and wait with yearly scans.

Due to having moving to a new state and having a baby, I am just now getting around to getting my MRI. The results showed that the 4mm had grown to 5mm but the smaller one couldnít even be picked up. I would likely need another angiogram to get a good look at it. My new doctor doesnít think the cavernous aneurysm has grown enough to warrant treatment. And he doesnít want to do an angiogram at this time. He advised me to get another MRI in 2 years and weíll see from there.

I am not 100% on board with this. For the last month I have been having awful, acute headaches behind my right eye extending into my temple. Iíve headaches on and off my whole life, but never like this. Iím worried that the aneurysm is becoming symptomatic and the doctor is dismissing my symptoms due to the general consensus that small aneurysms donít often show symptoms.

I would also feel more comfortable getting an angiogram to get the full picture. I know that MRIís can be off measuring aneurysms. Iíve read of people who think their aneurysm is one size but the angiogram reveals it to be much bigger.

I know the doctor is more knowledgeable than me and I want to trust his judgement. But Iím thinking maybe I should get a second opinion to be sure? Any advise and perspective would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
mmisty
(female)

mmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB Usermmisty HB User

Yes, get a second opinion. Before I had my hysterectomy with repair of cystocele I got 4 opinions.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
MEC44
(female)

MEC44 HB User

I would get a second opinion. Especially if youíre not feeling comfortable with the first doctorís opinion. Itís your health and you have a right to feel at peace with the final decision.

Last edited by MEC44; 07-30-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
familylady
(female)

familylady HB User

I would probably get a second opinion just to be on the safe side. If your second opinion says to watch and watch then you will feel more comfortable with that decision. If your second opinion says you need an intervention then you will have that choice of what to do next. Either way you will feel more in control of your health. Well wishes to you.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
katies987
(female)

katies987 HB User

Run as fast as you can for a second opinion. I had surgery for multiple aneurysms 20 months ago.

Reply Reply