It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board

• Having trouble controlling my anger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 AM   #1
    A&T

A&T HB User
    Smile Having trouble controlling my anger

Can someone tell me if they have tried any medications to controll their anger? Every time when my chips are down I tend to take my anger out on my girlfreind by verbally abusing her, or taking my anger out on throwing things around the house. I do not like when I become this different human being. I have tried meds in the past and they have worked the most recent was Effexor. I stopped it when things were getting better for me, plus I didn't like all the side effects. Then I got laid-off and then the money problems started,and now I am at rock bottom with my life and my chips are down once again. I am at the point in my life that if I need to be on meds to get me over this hump then so be it. Has anyone tried any medications where they didn't gain the 20-30 pounds? Is there anyone out there experiencing my situation????

Thanks to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
    KNH0130

KNH0130 HB User
    Re: Having trouble controlling my anger

I Understand Some What Of What Your Feeling And What Your Going Threw. I Also Have The Same Problem More Or Less W/my Anger. (throwing/braking Things) Iam On A Mood Stabilizer (triliptal) And It "helps" Alot W/my [email protected] Times. I Also Try And Get Out And Go To The Gym Also, Get Out That Anger Out On Something Other Then My Husband/kids. What Are Your Hobbies?? Maybe Doing Something That Interests You, When You Feel Like Your Getting To That Point Of "losing It" You Will Feel Better. Its Just A Suggestion. I Know That Its Easier Said Then Done, Believe Me. I Know That Its Not Right When I Have My "times" And I Realize That Sometimes We Hurt The People That We Love, That Are Close To Use, When We Hurt. I Hope That You Do Get The Help You Need And Are Looking For. Just Remember That We Are Here If You Need To Talk (me2

Old 10-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
    anger3535

anger3535 HB User

I began taking Prozac about two years ago. My sister recommended a shrink who prescribes drugs pretty easily. A fifteen minute "session" with him, where he asks a few questions to keep a record of how you're supposedly doing, then renews your prescription costs $100. Of course, I get mad at that (duh -that's what we do, right?)

I also tried a few other varieties of "anti-depressants" via him. They were basically the same.

For me, these drugs did one thing: They seemed to put a little delay in between the trigger of some episode of anger, and the actual venting of the anger. So I had just a little bit more time in which to calm down, and think before I leapt off the edge. I think that did help me a lot for the past two years, just in everyday coping. It kept me from quitting a very good job many times. But I finally still went over the edge and quit the job (two months ago).

Now, after doing a lot of reading about anger, men, etc, etc, I'm really working on getting rid of baggage, finding the causes for my anger, and (hopefully) will result in a more complete "cure" for my anger. Still not sure yet, but it feels very good at this point.

My point (finally) is this: I believe that Prozac (I don't know about those drugs mentioned by you both) can HELP to slow down that period of time like I said above. But if you completely rely on it to get you through life, it's just not going to work. Absolutely not. What we've got to do is use the drugs as a temporary crutch if necessary, but make sure we are committed to discovering our secrets and learning how to cope with them (like I really know what I'm talking about). Well, I think it's going to work for me anyway. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just be back into the cycle I've had all my life (I'm 51) of covering everything up.

You wanna take pills for the rest of your life just to dull your senses so you can make it through each day without blowing up? Not me ( ok, I'm still taking two a day, but at least that's down from the 3 a day I WAS taking)

Old 10-03-2004, 06:33 AM   #4
    A&T

A&T HB User

Thanks to the both of you for answering me. I have been prescribe back onto the Effexor again. It helped in the past, but I have been taking the drug since last Wednesday and I have not gotten a full uninterupted sleep yet. I can't remember last time I took this medication I do recall I had the same not being able to sleep before,but I think that goes away with in time??? Doc who is also a personal friend of mine helps me especially when I go in to vent to him. He said for me to be on the Effexor for about 2-3 weeks then he would maybe switch me to Wellbutin. I wish I just can get a full nights sleep. There's nothing I hate more then being tired and not being able to fall asleep.

Thanks again and I'll be keeping in touch

Old 10-15-2004, 09:39 PM   #5
    SaveTheForests

SaveTheForests HB User

I had a lot of anger problems. I used to throw chairs at teachers in school, get into fights, yell at my parents, and break things in my house. I started doing YOGA 2 years ago, and I can control my anger easily now. It really helps. The hell with medications.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I've been diagnosed with depression, I'm not bipolar, but I know that rage is a sign of mania. Some of the antidepressants I've tried have made me more prone to mania and rage. So does chocolate. I've actually kicked walls in and broken the sheetrock. If you have serious rage problems, I'd see a psychiatrist, because this is a chemical imbalance that needs to be addressed NOW before you hurt someone.

I wonder if some psychiatrists specialize in anger issues? Probably some do. I know some specialize in bipolar disorder, or borderline personality disorder (another cause of rage attacks).

For me, it can actually feel like a seizure. I suspect that all mood disorders stem from some frontal lobe dysfunction, just like epilepsy. Moods are physical things. You can analyze your life all you want, but the physical aspect needs to be addressed as well. In other words, medication & diet.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #7
    prpyllhaze1
    (female)

prpyllhaze1 HB User

Last edited by prpyllhaze1; 11-19-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
    prpyllhaze1
    (female)

prpyllhaze1 HB User

i went on lexapro after battling with the similar problems. I tried wellebutrin , celexa, prozac, and another that i can't remember. lexapro was really helful and had hardly any side effects. it also took only a week to get into my system whereas the others were supposed to take a few weeks before i was supposed to see results

Closed Thread