HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anger Management (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anger-management/)
-   -   anger and chocolate (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anger-management/223716-anger-chocolate.html)

kerry1 11-10-2004 07:41 PM

anger and chocolate

Hi guys, I've read some of your posts and they're scary. Anger isn't always "about" something. Sometimes it's just your chemistry being off-balance. Like when you have PMS, for instance.

I find that [B]CHOCOLATE causes me to have rage attacks[/B]. It took me years to connect the two, because it doesn't happen right away - it takes several hours to a day for the symptoms to erupt. One Snickers bar isn't too harmful, but if I eat rich, gooey chocolate like brownies or fudge, the effects are awful. It actually changes my thoughts to paranoid, angry, raging thoughts. I may not even know I have "chocolate rage" until I drop something on the floor by accident and start swearing a blue streak.

I've never seen this addressed anywhere, in articles, health books, anywhere. But I know it's real because I've talked to people and heard of people who have the same problem. And it's not caused by caffeine (I can drink coffee OK) or sugar (I eat plenty of that without raging). There's another chemical that's the culprit, possibly phenylethylamine. And it doesn't affect everyone the same -some people actually feel "in love" when they eat it - NOT ME!

cleanstart 11-24-2004 01:14 PM

Re: anger and chocolate

[QUOTE=kerry1]Hi guys, I've read some of your posts and they're scary. Anger isn't always "about" something. Sometimes it's just your chemistry being off-balance. Like when you have PMS, for instance.

I find that [B]CHOCOLATE causes me to have rage attacks[/B]. It took me years to connect the two, because it doesn't happen right away - it takes several hours to a day for the symptoms to erupt. One Snickers bar isn't too harmful, but if I eat rich, gooey chocolate like brownies or fudge, the effects are awful. It actually changes my thoughts to paranoid, angry, raging thoughts. I may not even know I have "chocolate rage" until I drop something on the floor by accident and start swearing a blue streak.

I've never seen this addressed anywhere, in articles, health books, anywhere. But I know it's real because I've talked to people and heard of people who have the same problem. And it's not caused by caffeine (I can drink coffee OK) or sugar (I eat plenty of that without raging). There's another chemical that's the culprit, possibly phenylethylamine. And it doesn't affect everyone the same -some people actually feel "in love" when they eat it - NOT ME!
[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right chocolate does it to me too. Ask my wife and she will tell you. And it is not just being a little irritable I go off on people after I have eaten chocolate. Your post is a godsend. I knew i wasn't nuts. I have known this for about 2 years now and it too took me awhile to connect the two.

My wife actually gets nervous now when she sees me eating chocolate and we have had major fights about it. And yes it takes a few hours to start feeling really ticked off and yes everything makes me mad.

One morning after a good night of downing some godiva, I chased a guy on the freeway for about a mile after he flipped me off for cutting him off. I never would have done that had I not been on my rage state from chocolate. Of course later in the day I felt like a jackass for having done that.

Chocolate is definately the big culprit in my life. I love the stuff though and cant seem to keep my paws off of it.

Let's stay in touch, you are the first one that besides myself ever address this issue. I knew it, I knew I was right about this.

Cody

kerry1 12-07-2004 08:36 PM

YEAH!! I knew I'd find somebody. We are not alone!! I've heard of this reaction, but only by word of mouth. I've researched it extensively, and have found NOTHING written about it. Only that it's "good for you" and makes you feel good. Yeah, for some.

The craziness I feel when I "fudge out" is much worse than PMS, and PMS is plenty bad (I don't need to tell you that, I'm guessing).

tsmith101 12-07-2004 10:02 PM

and you should know that when you eventually die, which is of course inevitable, you will be required to experience every last ounce of pain you put on others while you were alive........

so now you can't say you didn't know, so your excuse for hurting others will have to be either a) i read this post but didn't believe it or b) i read this post but forgot about it.

kerry1 12-08-2004 01:03 PM

That sounds pretty harsh!!

Not everybody reacts to chocolate the same way. There are just a few of us with this reaction, I believe.

angel_bear 12-27-2004 10:56 PM

Hello All

I've also had my local GP's resident nurse advise me to cut out white bread (oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO ..........) and go onto Multi Grain Bread, to cut out white rice and go brown (ewwwwwww) or "clever rice" (?), to stop eating my Crunchy Nut Cornflakes (kill me now .............) and to cut down my tea.

Well, cutting down tea is the easy part .. cause I might only have 2 cups a week TOPS .. but the rest?? *sob*

However, in the month I've 'tried' to behave, my rages haven't been as severe .. so perhaps there IS something in this?

And I find chocolate soothing .. I might rage at the family, but for me? I'm smoooth .. LOL

cheers
Mustang_Sally

kerry1 01-01-2005 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=mustang_sally]And I find chocolate soothing .. I might rage at the family, but for me? I'm smoooth .. LOL

cheers
Mustang_Sally[/QUOTE]

MOST people find chocolate soothing. I'm aiming my commentary at those of us who react badly to chocolate - maybe it's an allergy??

JustMeInID 01-01-2005 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=kerry1]MOST people find chocolate soothing. I'm aiming my commentary at those of us who react badly to chocolate - maybe it's an allergy??[/QUOTE]
It very well could be an allergic reaction. I know that if I eat too much chocolate, I get a massive headache. Glad I'm not that fond of chocolate.

kerry1 01-02-2005 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=JustMeInID]Glad I'm not that fond of chocolate.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes get a headache from chocolate, esp. ice cream. I have [I]learned[/I] to be less fond of chocolate, and ice cream too. When you figure out that a food is ruining your life, it's amazing how quickly you can learn to dislike it.

Drakes_mom 02-02-2005 02:38 PM

I love chocolate and am one of those people who get a mood boost from it, but I have noticed when I particularly crave it , if I go ahead and eat it I will get a monstrous headache. Theres some weird way the body craves what you are allergic to, evidently. So maybe your reaction is some kind of allergy as well?
Hey can you send me all the chocolate you may get for valentines day? lol

kerry1 02-02-2005 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=Drakes_mom]I love chocolate and am one of those people who get a mood boost from it, but I have noticed when I particularly crave it , if I go ahead and eat it I will get a monstrous headache. Theres some weird way the body craves what you are allergic to, evidently. So maybe your reaction is some kind of allergy as well?
Hey can you send me all the chocolate you may get for valentines day? lol[/QUOTE]

I think it may be an allergy. But it's kind of a weird way to manifest itself.

kerry1 02-14-2005 01:36 PM

Kisha - it does help. I recently bought myself a box of chocolates. I figured "once a year can't hurt". I didn't get the rage attacks this time, but I did get a severe case of depression, a non-stop headache and congestion in one ear - similar symptoms to the ones I get from dairy!! I avoid dairy foods like the plague since they make me ill (except for the occasional piece of cheese), and I know it's partly the casein (milk protein) and partly the horrific things they do to treat the milk before they ship it to the supermarket.

grapes 02-27-2005 10:00 PM

In Chinese Medicine, anger pertains to the liver. Chocolate, and rich fatty foods burden the liver and cause it to stagnate. This leads to emotional stagnation and frustration/rage in susceptible people. Bitter and sour foods such as apple cider vinegar, lemons, rye, romaine lettuce, dandelion greens and milk thistle herb cut through the stagnancy. Eat lots of salads, greens fresh juices. Lemonade is good if you want the sweet taste.