It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board

• Angry about stupid things

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #1
    songer99
    (male)

songer99 HB User
    Angry about stupid things

OK, I would love to hear from people if they have this same problem. Even if your response is "no, you're just wierd", that might help motivate me to change even more.

Basically, my problem is that I get excessively angry about stupid and trivial things. Examples: when I stub my toe, when I drop a spoon, when I choke on water or food, when I bite my tongue, dropping a book and losing my page, the list goes on. I realize these are all frustrating things, but for me it elevates into an extreme anger. And if three or more of these types of things happen in a row, I am not a pleasant person to be around. Yelling, cursing, you name it.

Does anyone else have these types of feelings? If so, could you explain why? The only thing I can think of is that I feel I am in control of most aspects of my life, and these are things that just "happen" that I have no control over.

Also does anyone have tips on how to make these things "slide off your shoulders" without getting so upset? I know these things happen to everyone, and I think everyone else in the world deals with it better than I do.

Anyway, any insights would be greatly appreciated. I have high blood pressure as it is. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User
    Re: Angry about stupid things

Yes, it sounds exactly like me. When I drop something on the floor, say a pencil, I feel like the pencil jumped out of my hand on purpose to spite me. I get furious & swear and kick something inanimate, like the desk.

But this is only when I have PMS, or have eaten chocolate - both make me extra-irritable & prone to rage attacks. I'm guessing you have an underlying physical imbalance that makes you react this way. You might keep a journal of your moods and see if there's certain times (and certain foods) that make you worse.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
    veggie girl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

veggie girl HB User

I'm the same way!!! I'll be using a spoon and will drop it, then get another one and then drop that too and get SOO ****** off!!

But I get especially angry with people - people talking loudly, people walking too slow, people taking up more than one seat on the subway, people talking on cellphones, people honking car horns, people yapping incessantly, people with an attitude.....

Old 01-23-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Yeahhh!!! So do I!! People talking on their cellphones when they're driving, and people blocking the aisle in the grocery store, as if the store were there JUST for them and nobody else needed it, and nobody was in a hurry....!!!
    LARGE people who walk rapidly, or stand there talking and take a step backwards...into ME. They're big, so they don't care if they step on anyone - THEY won't get hurt.....oh, look, you got me started.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
    songer99
    (male)

songer99 HB User

veggie girl, kerry,
    you are awesome. My wife had convinced me I was the only person on Earth to act out this way.

I totally agree that people make me more angry than anything else, and my problem is that I also have this disgusting need to "let them know" that they are stupid. If someone cuts me off on the freeway, I have to speed up and give them the stare or let them know they are #1, if you catch my drift. Luckily I have stopped that behavior as I realize it would be REALLY stupid for me to do that to the wrong person.

So maybe what I have to tell myself is that I am just inflicting self-harm with my angry persona...I think this type of anger is what causes my BP to be so high.

thanks for your posts. You have helped. When you think back on what you were ****** off about, it sure seems silly doesn't it?

Old 02-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
    Njoylife
    (female)

Njoylife HB User

Sounds to me like your a perfectionist. You have to do everything right or you get angry with yourself. Can you laugh at yourself when you make a mistake? This might help when you get angry over dropping a spoon.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Not necessarily a perfectionist. Just really tightly wound. Today I washed a spoon since I had no clean ones and it fell on the floor. I screeched at it. It's not just the stupid spoon, it's my whole LIFE, and a sink full of dirty dishes I can't even bring myself to wash, and feeling out of control in general. And there are those people who act like I'm the only one in the world who would react in such a way.....like I'm a FREAK. No, it's much more than just a spoon, my friend.

Old 02-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
    Njoylife
    (female)

Njoylife HB User

Definitely more than the spoon. What has happened to you in the past to make you depressed and angry? Before you snap the answer...I used to be like you. It took me, a real hard look at myself and my faults, not everybody elses, and a few years to get where I am today. I'll admit I still get road rage when I'm late but then I have to tell myself it's not that other persons fault, it's mine..I'm late and in a hurry. I've got a good ear if your willing to trust me. One think I've learn, the hard way, is that we all have control of our own lives by the decisions we make. Hope I can make life a little more stressfree for you.

Old 02-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Well, in the split second it takes me to drop a spoon, I can't analyze my whole life. I spent five years in therapy analyzing my life, and still take meds for depression and anxiety. But rage still rears its head on occasion. So what? Sometimes it's a life problem and sometimes it's that you've taken too many antihistamines and you're super irritable.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #10
    Njoylife
    (female)

Njoylife HB User

Sorry if I upset you Kerry1. Unfortunately, you can analyze your life forever without changing it. Change, the fear of the unknown, is what is really , really hard to do. What would Kerry1 be like if she wasn't depressed and full of anxiety? Only you have the control to find out. But, it is so much easier to say on meds and have the same old behaviors. Good luck to you Kerry1.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:12 PM   #11
    lacydog

lacydog HB User

Hey guys, my husband and son are the same way. The slightest thing sends my husband into the biggest rage, and he's big, 6'5" 280lbs. The one thing that works for them is mountain dew. I don't know why, but if they drink a dew when they get kranky it calms them down. Other caffeine drinks really don't do anything. My husband has gone so far in traffic as to pull people out of their cars and beat them down. It was BAD for awhile, he went to a shrink, she put him on lots of pills, they didn't help...blah, blah, blah. Anyway, he's doing great now, he just drinks a md every morning and does deep breathing and counting. My son only loses it once in awhile and he just gets grouchy. Hope that helps. Let me know. Lacy.

Last edited by lacydog; 02-28-2005 at 05:12 PM.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #12
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Njoylife
    Sorry if I upset you Kerry1. Unfortunately, you can analyze your life forever without changing it. Change, the fear of the unknown, is what is really , really hard to do. What would Kerry1 be like if she wasn't depressed and full of anxiety? Only you have the control to find out. But, it is so much easier to say on meds and have the same old behaviors. Good luck to you Kerry1.
    What does Njoy know about Kerry1? What does Njoy know about brain chemistry and psychotropic drugs that world-reknowned doctors don't? Would Kerry1 share her experiences with people if they all belittled her like Njoy? No, she would not. Fortunately, they usually don't on these boards. There are rules against that sort of antagonization.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
    cyndel
    (female)

cyndel HB Usercyndel HB User

I read this thread because I have a husband with this problem and thought I could get some insight from other people. All I have seen so far is that Njoy tried to help and it was not received as it was probably meant to be. This is familiar to me, taking things the wrong way because someone has a chip on their shoulder and seems to be looking for a fight. Maybe all people with this instant anger problem are the same, I don't get it, but I guess you don't really want anyone to help you, just agree with you. I have reread it all and just can't see where Njoy was trying to antagonize you at all.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
    faeryndolls
    (female)

faeryndolls HB User

when u get really angry and frausted do u feel like your in a blur on your own. and then suddenly you come out of it and feel embarssed because ppl are around you.????

i get angry over all the things mentionedi hate being stressed doesnt do my health any good.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #15
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyndel
    I read this thread because I have a husband with this problem and thought I could get some insight from other people. All I have seen so far is that Njoy tried to help and it was not received as it was probably meant to be. This is familiar to me, taking things the wrong way because someone has a chip on their shoulder and seems to be looking for a fight. Maybe all people with this instant anger problem are the same, I don't get it, but I guess you don't really want anyone to help you, just agree with you. I have reread it all and just can't see where Njoy was trying to antagonize you at all.
    Well, let's just agree to disagree, OK? I hopped aboard this thread because I have had a lifelong anger problem and thought I could help and be helped. I see rage as a chemical, biological thing, not a "bad mood". There's a big diff between being sour and grumpy and exploding into instant rage. And it's a very complex problem that needs to be dealt with in a number of ways. The last thing I'm looking for is a fight.

Closed Thread