It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anger Management Message Board

• Anger & Irritability

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
    bsharpnack
    (male)

bsharpnack HB User
    Anger & Irritability

Over the past few years I have been diagnosed with a number of "issues"... chronic headaches (which, fortunately have subsided recently), narcolepsy, Adult ADD.... and was "misdiagnosed" with depression. I'm not dperessed, I actually enjoy life. I have occasional anxiety issues, but nothing major.

But here is where my doctors are stumped. I have terrible mood swings. One moment I'll be cheerful, the next I'll shouting at the wife and kids, usually for no reason at all. I am very easy to "set off", and my buttons are very easy to push. This has become an increasingly frequent problem over the last couple years. The docs can't really associate it directly with anything they've diagnosed me with.

Have I just become an intolerant jerk? This is definitely not how I used to be, and my work/family environment haven't really changed. I don't have that much stress in my life to justify irritability and anger outbursts like this. There is simply no reason for it. I am rarely provoked. I just get angry and explode for no reason at all.

Anyone else experience this? What have you done about it? Does anyone know about any neurological condition that deals specifically with unprovoked anger and irritability?
    Any ideas/input appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
    bestdaddy

bestdaddy HB User
    Re: Anger & Irritability

I have to admit that I know how you feel. Even though my bouts come and go, I normally take the same steps to help take the edge off. Going for a long, long walk usually helps me. It tires me out. I was going through some serious problems with this a few months ago. I started going back to the gym and took up Yoga. This helped me also, so much that things got better. However, I stopped doing this and I feel the irritability building up inside again. I started walking again two days ago and plan on stepping it up a bit. Try blowing some steam off some way. It may not be yoga, but maybe adding a run early in the morning will help. Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Are you taking a "statin" drug for cholesterol? If so, the statin could be causing your mood swings. Something to think about. You may also be taking another medication that can cause irritability or mood swings. Amazing how meds that are suppose to be good for us can cause so much harm. My husband had to stop taking statins.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
    Njoylife
    (female)

Njoylife HB User

If the dr's are stumped, maybe it's emotional instead of medical. Maybe if you keep a journal of what happens before the 'mood swings' happen, it would give you a clue. Sometimes we keep things that happened to us ages ago surpressed way deep in our memories. Little things can bring them forward without us realizing it. If you write the same thing over and over again, it will trigger the memory and then you can confront it. Best of life...

Closed Thread