It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board

How to explain my angina?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
tonyw3026
(male)

tonyw3026 HB User
How to explain my angina?

I had a stent fitted about three years ago and have recently started to experience some angina again. I recently had another stress test followed by an ultrasound and the cardioligist saw no problems. I didn't experience the slightest trace of angina during the stress test aven though it pushed my heartrate up to 100%.

The funny thing is I usually get angina when I am not really exerting myself. On the other hand I can go for a 2hr strenous bike ride and I measure my heart rate at at 70% to 90% for the whole time and I don't get the slightest trace of angina. I have also noticed that when I do get angina it usually builds up during the day and is worst in the afternoon and evening. My nitro spray also seems to have very little effect.
What is going on?

I am a 72 year old male.

Thanks
Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #2
tonyw3026
(male)

tonyw3026 HB User
Re: How to explain my angina?

I have been continuing to do the research and it seems I may certainly have unstable angina.
Apparently the nitro spray is not effective with this form of angina also the angina is almost never related to exercise and can last for long periods. These are exactly my symptoms which I have been describing to my family doctor and two different cardiologists without any of them mentioning the unstable form of angina. Their latest suggestion is another stress test which I always pass with flying colors!

Tony

Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Voxx976
Veteran
(male)

Voxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB UserVoxx976 HB User
Re: How to explain my angina?

Tony,

I tend to agree with your assessment. What differentiated my "unstable angina" from stable angina was that the pain occasionally woke me in the middle of the night...certainly the time of least stress.
Walking after too large a meal brought it on strong. This scenario went on for 4 months.

At first, nitro helped and I went back to sleep. But then boom, pain at 1 AM, nitro did not work and a rush to the hospital for an angioplasty and stent on a closed Ramus artery.

My first "non-intervention cardiologist," aka pill pushing quack, referred me for a stress test. My thinking was that since I had stable angina from my RCA years ago, I knew damn well what angina felt like so I was not going to waste my time with his nonsense.
So I chose an interventionalist and intervene he did...no more angina.

"Unstable angina" is too close to a heart attack to mess around with.

Last edited by Voxx976; 10-11-2015 at 08:01 AM.

Closed Thread