It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board

Could I Have Prinzmetal's Angina?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
cory1984
(male)

cory1984 HB User
Could I Have Prinzmetal's Angina?

I have had chest pains for 7-8 years now off and on. I am a fairly active 31 year old male, with some instances of PSVT throughout my life. The PSVT was more prevalent during my childhood and I now rarely have full blown attacks, just the occasional "skipped" beat. When my chest pain began around the age of 23 or 24, I presented myself to the ER on two separate occasions, and was found to have nothing wrong beyond a "slight abnormality" on an EKG test. I was then referred to a cardiologist who really tried to work with me to get to the bottom of my problem. He performed an echocardiogram and found nothing wrong, we didn't do a stress test because my pain never occurs during exercise, and no angiogram because he didn't feel it was worth the risk of causing more problems. He came to the conclusion that it was likely anxiety related, which I have most certain had issues with. Long story short I still suffer from this to this day (though I have had fairly long periods of time where it was almost unnoticeable) the pain is never very severe, stays limited mostly to a dull ache in chest area and shooting pains in my left shoulder and wrist, usually lasting for a significant amount of time. I have never had instances of shortness of breath, feeling of fainting, etc. I have been taking beta blockers (atenolol) since my ER visit and they seem to help significantly. Caffeine and nicotine ( I used to smoke cigars occasionally) seem to aggravate the issue, usually a few min to an hour after consumption. Also I have almost never had any pain between the typical hours of Prinzmetal's (12am - 8am) in fact I can almost always bet it will not happen during these times. Has anyone else had this experience with Prinzmetal's? It seems that there are many factors that don't show typical symptoms, like the beta blockers helping (they're supposed to contradict Prinzmetal's), it doesn't happen during the typical times, and the pain associated with Prinzmetal's is usually described as "severe" my pain rarely if ever drifts into this category. I am at a loss to find any other explanation for this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread