It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Angina Message Board

• Variant/Prinzmetal Angina and Coronary Artery Spasms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #16
    SeaBreezes
    (female)

SeaBreezes HB User
    Re: Variant/Prinzmetal Angina and Coronary Artery Spasms?

Ah, Lesley, than you for being so sweet to me. You are making me feel better each day.

This frequency of this pain has increased in the last two years. It used to occur every 1-2 months ~ but usually for only one day at a time. Within the past 5-6 months, though, the pain can occur as much as 3-4 times per week. I'm not sure if it could be my stomach. I don't know anything about GERD. I guess I just assumed it was my heart, since the pain is located at the heart site, but I am learning everyday about referred pain. To be honest with you, one of the nurses at my general practioner's office told me it could also be my gallbladder, as this is a more consistent diagnosis with my age group. Also, when I started having the palps and PACs, this also lead me to believe that the chest pain was from my heart, as well. But I am also learning that palps and PACs are pretty common occurrences. My doctor said that my PACs were benign, but he did put my on a beta blocker for my rapid pulse. It really wasn't even that high. I think my highest BPM on the holter was 140 at rest. These palps could have been related to stress, too. I mentioned the ectopic pregnancy, but I didn't mention that I have had two ectopic pregnancies, the latest one occuring in January, 2005. It has definately been an unwanted, but added stress in my life. Also, I know that genetics play a big role in predicting future heart problems with offspring, and both of my parents are really healthy (ages 55 and 56). Both parents have really low cholesterol levels and my father used to smoke, but quite over 15 years ago. My appointment is on the 25th, and I'm feeling really confident in my ability to seek out some answers, since I have joined this board.

I appreciate your kind words and concern. You must be a wonderful wife to your husband. It's obvious that you are genuine and heartfelt throug hyor words. Best wishes to you and I will let you know how my appointment goes. But, again, I'm sure I'll have at least a few more questions until then.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM   #17
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

"Oh, we were explained the cpk enzyme can be elevated from somthing like shoveling snow, weight lifting etc. But we thought we understood that the trops were related to the heart muscle itself?? Not so??"

Leslie,
    I misread my notes and I believe you are correct it is not troponin. My notes on the report read ck-mb (range 0.6-6.3) protein released from damaged tissue. Trop indicates injury. I appreciate the correction.

Cause of edema: Heart's LV weaken from muscle damage, and this caused a backup of fluids into the lung. It was classified as mild. If it were severe, I can image one would have the sensation of drowning.

Medication has stabilized my condition. Thanks for asking.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #18
    browneyedsusie
    (female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Hmmmm Ken hehe I was hoping you knew for sure. I do think that is how they explained it but like I said our heads were spinning at the time. Do you still have to take meds? What is the LV? Did you have a heart attack and that is what caused the muscle damage? Sorry so many questions trying to educate myself!!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #19
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hi Susie,

LV is the heart chamber that pumps the blood. An angiogram a year ago showed 3 blocked coronary arteries. The LAD (left anterior descending) totally blocked, the right coronary 90% (stent placement) and 70% bockage remains for the circumflex branch.

Muscle damage due to LAD not supplying enough blood to the apex of the heart, but the right coronary developed collateral vessels that fed some blood into the apex. It was felt the stent in the rt cororonary could or may supply more blood to the apex and improve the damage and LV contractility...I must have had a silent heart attack!!?
    Never had angina or any pain that I could associate to the heart.

The meds I take are meant to reduce resistance of the heart's output by dialating vessels, neurohormones are blocked (system's response to stimuli) to reduce heart rate, diuretic to prevent fluid buildup, aspirin to thin the blood to prevent clots, and a pill to help contractility.

The meds have reduced LV enlargement and severe mitral valve regurgitation has improved, but the doc said I may have to have an operation on the valve and at the same time a bypass on the LAD can be done. Another test will be done in August.

Last edited by started04; 04-20-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
    browneyedsusie
    (female)

browneyedsusie HB User

WOW!!! Good to see you are so educated on what you are dealing with. My husband says "it's my heart" when asked at sleep lab what he is dealing with. He could not (or would not) explain that he showed enzyme elevation in his bloodwork, ST elevation on his ekg and quivering on an echo!! I thought "MEN" but obviously some(like yourself) take time to find out and educate themselves...Bravo for you..that impresses me!!
    May I ask what age you started having to deal with all this......It is sooo amazing what they can do when it comes to heart now....It's wonderful.
    Well I am sure I will think of another question for you....so I will be bugging you again.....Until then ....take care. Lesley

Old 04-20-2005, 02:39 PM   #21
    NineLives
    Veteran
    (female)

NineLives HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaBreezes
    Is this true for all types of angina. I'm sorry if this question is redundant. I'm guessing it is, because the angina results in a decreased level of oxygen, whether the source is blockage or spasm, right?

Are there any circumstances where an EKG will not pick up a cardiac-related problem? I guess the stress test would be useless on me, since I do not have these episodes upon exertion. In fact, I use my treadmill at home at least 4 times per week. I should probably go back on a 30-day holter monitor and record these episodes. The last time I was on the monitor, I focused more on recording my PACs episodes. I think I only recorded one or two chest pain episodes.

I had another episode this morning, and now that I am learning more and more about coronary artery spasms, I'm really trying to take note as to when these attacks occur, how long they last, what the pain feels like and where it is located. This morning the pain started at 6:00 a.m. and lasted for about 15 minutes. The pain was located directly under my left breast and radiated straight through to my back. It does have a rhythmic pattern to it. It is not a steady, constant pain, rather it is a pain that mimics the rhythm of a flashing light.

Thanks, again for all the responses and sharing your stories. I am so very sorry that so many people have to endure so much trauma.
    The only time the EKG picked up a problem in my case was when my stent was failing and I had about 97% blockage in the LAD. That was during an exercise session at rehab. Even when I was experiencing symptoms in the ER the EKG did not pick it up.
    As for the description of spasms mine was also very rhythmic. I could sit there and just about time when the next squeeze was going to hit. At some points the squeezing would even travel down my left arm and into my left leg. This all would happen in a matter of seconds.
    I don't know if you've read much on stress tests but they are finding that the treadmill exercise tests alone are not very reliable in women. The nuclear scan along with the treadmill is a good idea as it's better in finding blockage in women but it's not infalible either.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #22
    started04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I thought "MEN" but obviously some(like yourself) take time to find out and educate themselves...Bravo for you..that impresses me!!
    May I ask what age you started having to deal with all this......
    by Susie

I was 72 and now 73. I carelessly inhaled fine dust (sanding drywall) while finishing the basement in recently purchased townhouse. To learn the problem was heart failure and not the lungs shocked me as I would be the least candidate based on no risk factors accept age. No family history, proper weight, exercise, etc.

Being completely ignorant of heart problems I thought I had been given a death sentence. But researching the subject and reading posts has mitigated that view. Educating it seems to me puts one more in control to make decisions with an understanding of problems now and in the future, and one doesn't have to rely totally on doctors. In fact I consider myself fortunate not to have any symptoms and be in constant or occasional pain. I don't know what I would do without the resources of the internet.

leviathan, Laci and others, Thanks for your input.

Closed Thread